MD Heights: The Lookout or Observatory

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 18, 2009
      I received a question regarding Maryland Heights.  Ford and others mention the "Lookout". Lt. Binney calls it the "observatory". It is not the overlook. Do you know about where this was located on Maryland Heights?

      I am not sure that it is the Naval Battery. Ford mentions the Lookout in his report as wanting to get artillery into it. The Naval Battery already had artillery. Ford also states it was on top of the mountain.

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 18, 2009

        Dennis Frye has a map on page 21 of B&G Sept 87 which does not show
        it but has two interesting labels on the right side: "Road to
        Lookout" and "Lookout 400 yds"

        If the brerastworks are still there, then the Lookout is 400 yds down
        the crest. Major Hewitt said that the Lookout was about 300 yds south
        of the fortification (OR vo. 19, pt. 1, pg.570.)

        Brown's Signal Corps book has a map on page 674 showing signal
        stations around Harpers Ferry showing one at the end of the mountain
        above a six-gun battery which wasn't there during the battle IIRC.
        From what he says it sounds like that spot may have been in use off
        and on from late 1861 as a lookout point and also as a signal
        station. It appears that it may be near the number "840" on the OR
        map 42, no. 1.

        I don't remember where that was on my one hike to the crest several
        years ago.

        Larry

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, RoteBaron@... wrote:

        > I received a question regarding Maryland Heights.  Ford and others
        mention the "Lookout". Lt. Binney calls it the "observatory". It is
        not the overlook. Do you know about where this was located on
        Maryland Heights?

        > I am not sure that it is the Naval Battery. Ford mentions the
        Lookout in his report as wanting to get artillery into it. The Naval
        Battery already had artillery. Ford also states it was on top of the
        mountain.

        > Tom Shay

      • RoteBaron
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 18, 2009
          Larry,

          Thanks for the info!

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 18, 2009
            I had always thought that the lookout was where the 100lb Parrott battery
            was. This was below the crest a little south of the fort. There were several
            batteries on that mountain through the years. The park has a few of them
            mapped but most are not. The only reason that I know they were there is due
            to trajectories and lines.

            Ian

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 19, 2009
              Right Ian, I agree it is on or near the summitt of the ridge. The 100 lb Parrott was not there in 1862 and hence they simply called that area the Lookout.

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 27, 2009
                As usual, Tom is correct. I recently received the following from the
                Park Service at HF:

                Your note about the "lookout" on Maryland Heights was passed to me. I
                believe that the lookout site was very near the location where the
                100pound parrott gun would later be enplaced I believe that it was
                probably obliterated by the later installation of the gun. That would
                obviously place it to the north or north north east of the six gun
                battery.

                Regards, John King
                Supervisory Park Ranger