Research Help

  • Ray Ortensie
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 5, 2002
      Does anyone know if anything has been written on the religious revivals at
      Moss Neck and Bunker Hill during the winter of 1862-63 in the 2nd Corp?
      Thanks.

      Ray
    • Ray Ortensie
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 29, 2002
        I am needing some help from members of this group. As some of you know I have been doing some research on Confederate chaplains. More specifically I am looking at chaplains within the Second Corps, Army of Northern Virginia. Most of the primary sources that I have been able to find are from some of the chaplains themselves (i.e.. J. William Jones, A.D. Betts, Bennett, etc.). In order to prove that religion helped build and sustain Confederate morale I need to look at the common soldiers themselves. This is the area that I am having the problem in. A majority of the sources that I was able to get my hands on never mentioned religious services within the camps (except for instance some of Stonewall's letters home to his wife, Dabney's letters, and some mentions in W.D. Pender's letters). I am putting together a research grant proposal and the help that I need is if anyone knows of a collection in the South that holds a great deal of Second Corps sources. I'm leaning towards both the Southern Historical at Chapel Hill and the Duke Collection as being the primary places. Does anyone know of others that may help in this endeavor. I have a good chance of getting this grant and need to get a proposal to the office within two weeks so if anyone could help, please do. You can email me directly at photoray@... Thanks!

        Ray

      • Tom Clemens
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 29, 2002
          Ray,
          Maryland historical Magazine published letters from Lt. John Stone, 2nd MD Inf, CSA and he was a devout Catholic. He did not mention chaplains, but talks a lot about visits from priests, religion in general, etc. Was published 1900 or 1991 or so.

          Ray Ortensie wrote:

          > I am needing some help from members of this group. As some of you know I have been doing some research on Confederate chaplains. More specifically I am looking at chaplains within the Second Corps, Army of Northern Virginia. Most of the primary sources that I have been able to find are from some of the chaplains themselves (i.e.. J. William Jones, A.D. Betts, Bennett, etc.). In order to prove that religion helped build and sustain Confederate morale I need to look at the common soldiers themselves. This is the area that I am having the problem in. A majority of the sources that I was able to get my hands on never mentioned religious services within the camps (except for instance some of Stonewall's letters home to his wife, Dabney's letters, and some mentions in W.D. Pender's letters). I am putting together a research grant proposal and the help that I need is if anyone knows of a collection in the South that holds a great deal of Second Corps sources. I'm leaning towar!
          > ds both the Southern Historical at Chapel Hill and the Duke Collection as being the primary places. Does anyone know of others that may help in this endeavor. I have a good chance of getting this grant and need to get a proposal to the office within two weeks so if anyone could help, please do. You can email me directly at photoray@... Thanks!
          >
          > Ray

        • Ray Ortensie
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 29, 2002
            Tom

            Thanks. I am hoping to get the proposal done by next week. I am looking at
            Duke's collection, Southern Historical Collection at Chapel Hill, and the
            Georgia State Archives in Atlanta. Or maybe Virginia's State Archives.
            Just not sure since this would be the first time that I've been to a
            collection to look through print material. Not really sure about all this
            as of yet. Thanks for the help, Doctor Tom.

            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/