Battlefield photo

  • TR Livesey
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2002
      Group,

      I am posting an interesting battlefield photo of Antietam:

      http://westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/smoketownrd.jpg

      I bought it on ebay last year. All I know about it is that
      it is a page cut from a 1914 book, about 7 inches wide; the
      time the photo was taken, and the photographer, is unknown.
      When I got it, I looked at it long enough to convince myself
      of the camera location and angle: we are looking eastward,
      across the Hagerstown Pike, looking up the Smoketown road.

      Of special interest is the age of the photo. It predates
      the construction of both the Maryland monument and Confederate
      Ave. In the background you can see the East Woods, extending
      southward to what appears to be its wartime southern boundary.

      While I was looking for something else the other day, I found
      this photo and noticed something I had not seen before:

      http://westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/smoketownrdhigh.jpg

      It appears to be a dead tree on the Mumma farm. I made the
      connection with the dead tree in Gardner's Stereo #570, which
      Frassanito places in this area. Under closer examination,
      I was able to confirm that this is in fact the same tree:

      http://westwoodgalleries.com/antietam/smoketownrdblow.jpg

      Amazingly, it is located right where Frassanito predicted it
      would be, based on other evidence. Since he does not mention
      this photo, I am assuming he was unaware of it when he wrote
      his book. Luckily, this photo was taken from nearly the exact
      opposite direction as Gardner's, so the tree's distinctive
      outline can be compared.

      Has anyone else ever seen this photo, or know anything about
      it's age or photographer?

      Regards,
      TR Livesey
      tlivesey@...
    • David Lutton
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2002
        Todd,

        I am not sure my last post got through, so let me say again that you have
        some eye for detail! I agree with you in reference to the placement of the
        photo. It is most certainly looking east along the Smoketown Road. The
        ground has not changed much from 1914. I have not seen this particular
        photo before and would be most interested in any results that you may come
        along.

        David Lutton
        Hollidaysburg PA

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 2, 2002
          Todd:

          Fascinating! Have you tried to communicate with Bill Frassanito
          about the finding of the photo, which is a reverse look of a
          photo in his book?

          Great photograph by the way!

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers