Re: [TalkAntietam] Harpers Ferry on endangered list

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002
      Andy,
      Don't get too worked up about the ranking. It is not a scientific or even an
      objective process. It is based on the level of threat, but also on a lot of
      other factors. Notice its regional balance? Also depends on how "sexy"
      (their words, not mine) the battlefield is, NPS agenda, etc. It is sort of a
      cynical fund-raising technique, but it does not mean that these battlefields
      do not need help, they do.
      Tom Clemens

      kamills wrote:

      > Tom
      >
      > I have read both of these articles you posted today. Just out of
      > curiosity, how did Antietam rank? I think it would have to be
      > pretty low, as nothing has been built in Sharpsburg since the
      > battle. Is there much of the Antietam battlefield that has been
      > lost? If so, which areas.
      >
      > Thank you
      > Andy

    • scottmingus
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
        Does anyone know of a good set of detialed maps for Harper's Ferry
        fighting (similar to Mike Priest's highly detailed maps in his
        Antietam and South Mountain books)? I'm trying to understand the
        tactical challenges of the envelopment of the town for a possible
        wargame scenario.

        The detailed map should be regimental level and show the positions of
        individual regiments and batteries. Does such a map exist? I know so
        little about this particular fight, and have zero useful references
        in terms of maps and sketches in my collection.

        Scott Mingus
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
          Scott,

          Would the maps in the Official Atlas for the Official Records of
          the War of the Rebellion be of assistance?

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          Edward Lee