Re: [TalkAntietam] Hill as Corps Commander

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 7, 2009

      As per Tom Clemens who knows Joe Harsh VERY well etc. and my own
      comments, I heartily disagree with your statement in no. 1 about
      3 Corps. The use of the word "corps" at any time by anybody in
      the ANVa PRIOR to the ANVa reorganization and early November when
      Lee announces the promotions to Lt General, is NOT to be
      understood in the same way we now understand it. Again, as Tom
      Clemens points out, the term most likely reflects ad hoc
      organization at this point.

      2. Anderson's brigade is detached from D H Hill and sent to a
      point opposite Berlin, Md. to try to harass the B & O Railway and
      also the C & O Canal, cause damage with artillery etc. and does
      not rejoin the remainder of the division until September 7 or 8.

      3. D H Hill's division minus Anderson's brigade is the advance
      guard of the ANVa into Maryland as per Harsh in TATF. It goes
      into Maryland at a time when Lee had not fully decided on moving
      the entire army into Maryland but Lee does make the decision to
      move his entire force within 24 hours.

      5. As Tom Clemens just points out, the entire organization of the
      ANVa during this campaign, as well as during the battle itself,
      is EXTREMELY fluid.

      Why don't you explain to us why you are so focused in on
      constructing on OOB for this? Also, I do not believe you have
      adequately answered my question to you about which brigadiers of
      McLaws took "orders" from D H Hill at the Sunken Road? Just
      because a junior officer reports to a senior one does not
      necessarily mean the senior officers is in command of the
      junior's command. (In most cases, yes, but there are always
      exceptions to the general rules!)