Re: [TalkAntietam] Harpers Ferry on endangered list

    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002
      Andy,

      Tom might have answered your post already, but while the
      Sharpsburg area is more or less intact, the danger there is from
      possible development, as in housing developments.

      In the past decade or so, the growth of the Hagerstown area has
      spurred development all down the SR 65 and I-81 corridor.

      CWPT was able to save a very large chunk of ground over which
      Confederate troops advanced to the West Woods/Cornfield/Dunkard
      Church sector.

      Now needing to be preserved is important ground just adjacent to
      and behind the site of Lee's Headquarters area.

      SHAF, to which I also belong, is working with the NPS to help
      preserve other sites equally important to the battle and the
      campaign.

      Hope this helps.

      Your humble servant,
      Gerry Mayers
      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

      Edward Lee

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002
        Andy,
        Don't get too worked up about the ranking. It is not a scientific or even an
        objective process. It is based on the level of threat, but also on a lot of
        other factors. Notice its regional balance? Also depends on how "sexy"
        (their words, not mine) the battlefield is, NPS agenda, etc. It is sort of a
        cynical fund-raising technique, but it does not mean that these battlefields
        do not need help, they do.
        Tom Clemens

        kamills wrote:

        > Tom
        >
        > I have read both of these articles you posted today. Just out of
        > curiosity, how did Antietam rank? I think it would have to be
        > pretty low, as nothing has been built in Sharpsburg since the
        > battle. Is there much of the Antietam battlefield that has been
        > lost? If so, which areas.
        >
        > Thank you
        > Andy

      • scottmingus
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
          Does anyone know of a good set of detialed maps for Harper's Ferry
          fighting (similar to Mike Priest's highly detailed maps in his
          Antietam and South Mountain books)? I'm trying to understand the
          tactical challenges of the envelopment of the town for a possible
          wargame scenario.

          The detailed map should be regimental level and show the positions of
          individual regiments and batteries. Does such a map exist? I know so
          little about this particular fight, and have zero useful references
          in terms of maps and sketches in my collection.

          Scott Mingus
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
            Scott,

            Would the maps in the Official Atlas for the Official Records of
            the War of the Rebellion be of assistance?

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            Edward Lee