Re: [TalkAntietam] 3 Corps into 2 (was The Orbats at Antietam)

    Message 1 of 68 , Feb 6, 2009
      Dave,

      Did you mean Bragg or Hill or both? Bragg definitely had his own
      health issues, which contributed mightily to his abysmal
      performance as commander of the AoT. Hill had arthritis of the
      spine, which even on a "good" day could make him a bit
      touchy...and on a "bad" day... well I do not want to think about
      it! ;)

      Message 68 of 68 , Feb 12, 2009
        Jackson has some real problems as a tactical commander, and he keeps making
        the same mistakes, which suggests that he wasn't very introspective about
        developing those skills. None of his battles really display a flair for tactics,
        even Chancellorsville, where his choices of divisions in line instead of
        column greatly complicated his own attack.

        That said, he was quite effective at what we today would call the
        operational art.

        Dave Powell

        In a message dated 2/11/2009 3:21:43 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        gerry1952@... writes:

        Gary Echelbarger is also a great source on the Valley Campaign of
        1862. Mildly said, Jackson got very lucky in the Valley in 1862..
        the only Federal commander to beat him, and do so pretty soundly,
        was James Shields. (Even there, actual field commander was Nathan
        Kimball.) That said, Jackson had, after Shields, mediocre Federal
        commanders to contend with....

        now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000001)