Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: The Orbats at Antietam

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 68 , Feb 5, 2009
      Hey Dave!

      Lee's staff threw together a small 250 or so man regiment by sending
      a staff member into the center of town to collar anyone he saw.

      Hill slapped together a like number from the remains of his own
      division and led them personally.

      About 5,500 men rejoined the army overnight, some from A.P. Hill's
      division as well as others of the army that could not keep up.

      But a 5k straggler brigade would have been a very big deal showing up
      in the afternoon... hell, that's more than twice as many men as A.P.
      Hill showed up with!

      Dean

    • DPowell334@AOL.COM
      Message 68 of 68 , Feb 12, 2009
        Jackson has some real problems as a tactical commander, and he keeps making
        the same mistakes, which suggests that he wasn't very introspective about
        developing those skills. None of his battles really display a flair for tactics,
        even Chancellorsville, where his choices of divisions in line instead of
        column greatly complicated his own attack.

        That said, he was quite effective at what we today would call the
        operational art.

        Dave Powell

        In a message dated 2/11/2009 3:21:43 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        gerry1952@... writes:

        Gary Echelbarger is also a great source on the Valley Campaign of
        1862. Mildly said, Jackson got very lucky in the Valley in 1862..
        the only Federal commander to beat him, and do so pretty soundly,
        was James Shields. (Even there, actual field commander was Nathan
        Kimball.) That said, Jackson had, after Shields, mediocre Federal
        commanders to contend with....

        now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000001)