Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: The Orbats at Antietam

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 68 , Feb 5, 2009
      I dimly recall references to the staff organizing 'straggler units' of 2-300
      men for last ditch efforts, but nothing to match what was previously
      described.

      In all fairness, I no longer recall where I found/saw those references.

      The 5K figure seems very close to the suggestion of roughly that number of
      men who, according to the ANV staff, rejoined the ranks on the night of the
      17th, mostly stragglers from AP Hill who fell out on the march, but who in
      effect replaced a fair number of Lee's losses overnight.

      Again, dimly recalled. Been a while since I looked at all this in any detail.

      Dave Powell

      In a message dated 2/5/2009 1:04:38 P.M. Central Standard Time,
      d.essig@... writes:

      If there is, and not from the same guy, I'd love to see it.

      On Feb 5, 2009, at 12:43 PM, G E Mayers wrote:

      > Wonder if there is anything in Confederate Veteran?

      **************Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on
      AOL Music.
      (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?ncid=emlcntusmusi00000001)

    • DPowell334@AOL.COM
      Message 68 of 68 , Feb 12, 2009
        Jackson has some real problems as a tactical commander, and he keeps making
        the same mistakes, which suggests that he wasn't very introspective about
        developing those skills. None of his battles really display a flair for tactics,
        even Chancellorsville, where his choices of divisions in line instead of
        column greatly complicated his own attack.

        That said, he was quite effective at what we today would call the
        operational art.

        Dave Powell

        In a message dated 2/11/2009 3:21:43 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        gerry1952@... writes:

        Gary Echelbarger is also a great source on the Valley Campaign of
        1862. Mildly said, Jackson got very lucky in the Valley in 1862..
        the only Federal commander to beat him, and do so pretty soundly,
        was James Shields. (Even there, actual field commander was Nathan
        Kimball.) That said, Jackson had, after Shields, mediocre Federal
        commanders to contend with....

        now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000001)