Re: [TalkAntietam] Harpers Ferry on endangered list

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002
      In a message dated 02/27/2002 2:18:15 PM EST, kamills@... writes:
      << have read both of these articles you posted today. Just out of
      curiosity, how did Antietam rank? >>

      Andy,

      The entire report is at:

      http://www.civilwar.org/topten2002/atriskbattlefields.htm

      Tom Shay
    • David Lutton
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002

        Thanks for the article. Of particular concern to me was the threat to the
        Schoolhouse Ridge area. Several years ago, I was attempting to get a
        better grasp of the action at Harper's Ferry. After viewing the area from
        Schoolhouse Ridge I believe I got a clearer picture of the seige from
        Jackson's perspective. If I remember correctly the ground from the ridge
        was rather open as it ascended onto the Union position at the Heights
        beyond. I hope this important ground is not lost.

        David Lutton
        Hollidaysburg Pa
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002
          David,

          IIRC, but I think CWPT is doing something about that very
          area...........

          Your humble servant,
          Gerry Mayers
          Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

          Edward Lee

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Sponsor ---------------------~-->

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002
            Andy,

            Tom might have answered your post already, but while the
            Sharpsburg area is more or less intact, the danger there is from
            possible development, as in housing developments.

            In the past decade or so, the growth of the Hagerstown area has
            spurred development all down the SR 65 and I-81 corridor.

            CWPT was able to save a very large chunk of ground over which
            Confederate troops advanced to the West Woods/Cornfield/Dunkard
            Church sector.

            Now needing to be preserved is important ground just adjacent to
            and behind the site of Lee's Headquarters area.

            SHAF, to which I also belong, is working with the NPS to help
            preserve other sites equally important to the battle and the
            campaign.

            Hope this helps.

            Your humble servant,
            Gerry Mayers
            Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

            Edward Lee

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002
              Andy,
              Don't get too worked up about the ranking. It is not a scientific or even an
              objective process. It is based on the level of threat, but also on a lot of
              other factors. Notice its regional balance? Also depends on how "sexy"
              (their words, not mine) the battlefield is, NPS agenda, etc. It is sort of a
              cynical fund-raising technique, but it does not mean that these battlefields
              do not need help, they do.
              Tom Clemens

              kamills wrote:

              > Tom
              >
              > I have read both of these articles you posted today. Just out of
              > curiosity, how did Antietam rank? I think it would have to be
              > pretty low, as nothing has been built in Sharpsburg since the
              > battle. Is there much of the Antietam battlefield that has been
              > lost? If so, which areas.
              >
              > Thank you
              > Andy

            • scottmingus
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
                Does anyone know of a good set of detialed maps for Harper's Ferry
                fighting (similar to Mike Priest's highly detailed maps in his
                Antietam and South Mountain books)? I'm trying to understand the
                tactical challenges of the envelopment of the town for a possible
                wargame scenario.

                The detailed map should be regimental level and show the positions of
                individual regiments and batteries. Does such a map exist? I know so
                little about this particular fight, and have zero useful references
                in terms of maps and sketches in my collection.

                Scott Mingus
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
                  Scott,

                  Would the maps in the Official Atlas for the Official Records of
                  the War of the Rebellion be of assistance?

                  Your humble servant,
                  Gerry Mayers
                  Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                  Edward Lee