Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: The Orbats at Antietam

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 68 , Feb 5, 2009
      On Feb 5, 2009, at 7:46 AM, G E Mayers wrote:

      > IIRC Mac made no order to any of his wing commanders about
      > discontinuing the wing command arrangement at Sharpsburg. At
      > least I've not read anything saying this.

      No, he didn't.

      > Odd thing though, is
      > Burnside is the only one of the three wing commanders who seems
      > to have created problems for Mac in that regard on September 17.

      Sumner was busy throwing his weight around on the northern part of
      the field, squelching Franklin, that counts. :-)

    • DPowell334@AOL.COM
      Message 68 of 68 , Feb 12, 2009
        Jackson has some real problems as a tactical commander, and he keeps making
        the same mistakes, which suggests that he wasn't very introspective about
        developing those skills. None of his battles really display a flair for tactics,
        even Chancellorsville, where his choices of divisions in line instead of
        column greatly complicated his own attack.

        That said, he was quite effective at what we today would call the
        operational art.

        Dave Powell

        In a message dated 2/11/2009 3:21:43 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        gerry1952@... writes:

        Gary Echelbarger is also a great source on the Valley Campaign of
        1862. Mildly said, Jackson got very lucky in the Valley in 1862..
        the only Federal commander to beat him, and do so pretty soundly,
        was James Shields. (Even there, actual field commander was Nathan
        Kimball.) That said, Jackson had, after Shields, mediocre Federal
        commanders to contend with....

        now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000001)