Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: The Orbats at Antietam

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 68 , Feb 5, 2009
      Actually, that one is a myth. The fevered workings of one man's
      recollections years and years after the battle.

      None of the other figures allegedly directly involved in this episode
      mentioned anything about it in their reports (and Hood and Law were
      both very clear about going to the rear, getting some ammunition, and
      returning to the West Woods area later in the day... forming a
      straggler brigade of, what was the claim? 5,000 men (!) and parading
      in front of Lee so he could give them some stirring words would have
      warranted some mention.

      That's what my research into it showed.

      Dean

    • DPowell334@AOL.COM
      Message 68 of 68 , Feb 12, 2009
        Jackson has some real problems as a tactical commander, and he keeps making
        the same mistakes, which suggests that he wasn't very introspective about
        developing those skills. None of his battles really display a flair for tactics,
        even Chancellorsville, where his choices of divisions in line instead of
        column greatly complicated his own attack.

        That said, he was quite effective at what we today would call the
        operational art.

        Dave Powell

        In a message dated 2/11/2009 3:21:43 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        gerry1952@... writes:

        Gary Echelbarger is also a great source on the Valley Campaign of
        1862. Mildly said, Jackson got very lucky in the Valley in 1862..
        the only Federal commander to beat him, and do so pretty soundly,
        was James Shields. (Even there, actual field commander was Nathan
        Kimball.) That said, Jackson had, after Shields, mediocre Federal
        commanders to contend with....

        now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000001)