Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: The Orbats at Antietam

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 68 , Feb 5, 2009
      On Feb 5, 2009, at 4:49 AM, Bryn Monnery wrote:

      > Any thoughts on Burnside still being a Wing Commander and why the idea
      > of him stubbornly refusing to yield the position came about? This is
      > the next thing I intend to research...

      Burnside had the other corps of his wing (1st) sent to the other end
      of the field. McClellan made no order stating the wings had ceased to
      function, Burnside merely assumed he was still the wing commander and
      that this dispersal was a temporary matter.

      Dean

    • DPowell334@AOL.COM
      Message 68 of 68 , Feb 12, 2009
        Jackson has some real problems as a tactical commander, and he keeps making
        the same mistakes, which suggests that he wasn't very introspective about
        developing those skills. None of his battles really display a flair for tactics,
        even Chancellorsville, where his choices of divisions in line instead of
        column greatly complicated his own attack.

        That said, he was quite effective at what we today would call the
        operational art.

        Dave Powell

        In a message dated 2/11/2009 3:21:43 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        gerry1952@... writes:

        Gary Echelbarger is also a great source on the Valley Campaign of
        1862. Mildly said, Jackson got very lucky in the Valley in 1862..
        the only Federal commander to beat him, and do so pretty soundly,
        was James Shields. (Even there, actual field commander was Nathan
        Kimball.) That said, Jackson had, after Shields, mediocre Federal
        commanders to contend with....

        now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000001)