Re: The Orbats at Antietam

  • Bryn Monnery
    Message 1 of 68 , Feb 5, 2009
      I recently tried to edit Wikipedia to reflect the new research.
      Suffice to say it lasted about an hour. My current focus is to try and
      determine just how real the Centre Wing was; DH Hill giving orders
      directly to McLaws' brigadiers is indicative that he was wing
      commander on the day.

      I think once I've got sufficient references I'm going to try and place
      a "corrected" orbat online. I've rough estimates of regimental
      strengths, but I haven't found anything really definitive there.

      Any thoughts on Burnside still being a Wing Commander and why the idea
      of him stubbornly refusing to yield the position came about? This is
      the next thing I intend to research...

    • DPowell334@AOL.COM
      Message 68 of 68 , Feb 12, 2009
        Jackson has some real problems as a tactical commander, and he keeps making
        the same mistakes, which suggests that he wasn't very introspective about
        developing those skills. None of his battles really display a flair for tactics,
        even Chancellorsville, where his choices of divisions in line instead of
        column greatly complicated his own attack.

        That said, he was quite effective at what we today would call the
        operational art.

        Dave Powell

        In a message dated 2/11/2009 3:21:43 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        gerry1952@... writes:

        Gary Echelbarger is also a great source on the Valley Campaign of
        1862. Mildly said, Jackson got very lucky in the Valley in 1862..
        the only Federal commander to beat him, and do so pretty soundly,
        was James Shields. (Even there, actual field commander was Nathan
        Kimball.) That said, Jackson had, after Shields, mediocre Federal
        commanders to contend with....

        now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000001)