Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: LONG "Stories of the Confederacy" by Brooks

  • Teej Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
      Larry wrote:

      Teej,

      Thank you again. Does the Brooks book have a lot more about the
      Maryland Campaign? I see that the Guild edition is available used at
      a reasonable price but I don't know if Brooks had more good material
      on this campaign. About how many more pages does he devote to the
      Maryland Campaign?

      In all there are 19 pages devoted to the Maryland Campaign. The chapter heading is: "Chapter IV. Crosses the Potomac Into Maryland--Capture of Poolsville--Yankee Scouts Capture Important Despachtes--Our Cavalry Recapture Them--Circumstances Alter Cases--Fights In Fredericktown, Middleton, On Buckettsville Road, And South Mountain--Capture of Harper's Ferry--The Battle of Antietam--A Remarkable Coincidence--Affair at Boteler's Mill."
      Some of the information is descriptive such as I posted here earlier; the rest is more or less anecdotal. Unless you have an abiding interest in Hampton's cavalry, I'm not sure the book would be that useful to you. I would be more than happy to copy the 19 pages I mentioned and mail them to you if you send me your mailing address by private email.

      Regards,
      Teej

      .