Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: LONG "Stories of the Confederacy" by Brooks

  • Teej Smith
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
      > Teej,
      >
      > Thank you again for your efforts in making this material available.
      It will be of great help in fleshing out the cavalry fights around and
      in Middletown.

      My pleasure, Larry. BTW, Capt. Stiles was left in Boonsboro after his wounding and later captured and sent to Ft. McHenry.

      Regards,
      Teej

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
        Teej,

        Thank you again. Does the Brooks book have a lot more about the
        Maryland Campaign? I see that the Guild edition is available used at
        a reasonable price but I don't know if Brooks had more good material
        on this campaign. About how many more pages does he devote to the
        Maryland Campaign?

        Larry F.

        --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Teej Smith" <teej@...> wrote:

        > > Teej,
        > >
        > > Thank you again for your efforts in making this material
        available.
        > It will be of great help in fleshing out the cavalry fights
        around and
        > in Middletown.
        >
        > My pleasure, Larry. BTW, Capt. Stiles was left in Boonsboro
        after his wounding and later captured and sent to Ft. McHenry.

        > Regards,
        > Teej

      • Teej Smith
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
          Larry wrote:

          Teej,

          Thank you again. Does the Brooks book have a lot more about the
          Maryland Campaign? I see that the Guild edition is available used at
          a reasonable price but I don't know if Brooks had more good material
          on this campaign. About how many more pages does he devote to the
          Maryland Campaign?

          In all there are 19 pages devoted to the Maryland Campaign. The chapter heading is: "Chapter IV. Crosses the Potomac Into Maryland--Capture of Poolsville--Yankee Scouts Capture Important Despachtes--Our Cavalry Recapture Them--Circumstances Alter Cases--Fights In Fredericktown, Middleton, On Buckettsville Road, And South Mountain--Capture of Harper's Ferry--The Battle of Antietam--A Remarkable Coincidence--Affair at Boteler's Mill."
          Some of the information is descriptive such as I posted here earlier; the rest is more or less anecdotal. Unless you have an abiding interest in Hampton's cavalry, I'm not sure the book would be that useful to you. I would be more than happy to copy the 19 pages I mentioned and mail them to you if you send me your mailing address by private email.

          Regards,
          Teej

          .