Re: LONG "Stories of the Confederacy" by Brooks

    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
      > Teej,
      >
      > Thank you again for your efforts in making this material available.
      It will be of great help in fleshing out the cavalry fights around and
      in Middletown.

      Larry F.
    • Teej Smith
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
        > Teej,
        >
        > Thank you again for your efforts in making this material available.
        It will be of great help in fleshing out the cavalry fights around and
        in Middletown.

        My pleasure, Larry. BTW, Capt. Stiles was left in Boonsboro after his wounding and later captured and sent to Ft. McHenry.

        Regards,
        Teej

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
          Teej,

          Thank you again. Does the Brooks book have a lot more about the
          Maryland Campaign? I see that the Guild edition is available used at
          a reasonable price but I don't know if Brooks had more good material
          on this campaign. About how many more pages does he devote to the
          Maryland Campaign?

          Larry F.

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "Teej Smith" <teej@...> wrote:

          > > Teej,
          > >
          > > Thank you again for your efforts in making this material
          available.
          > It will be of great help in fleshing out the cavalry fights
          around and
          > in Middletown.
          >
          > My pleasure, Larry. BTW, Capt. Stiles was left in Boonsboro
          after his wounding and later captured and sent to Ft. McHenry.

          > Regards,
          > Teej

        • Teej Smith
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 4, 2009
            Larry wrote:

            Teej,

            Thank you again. Does the Brooks book have a lot more about the
            Maryland Campaign? I see that the Guild edition is available used at
            a reasonable price but I don't know if Brooks had more good material
            on this campaign. About how many more pages does he devote to the
            Maryland Campaign?

            In all there are 19 pages devoted to the Maryland Campaign. The chapter heading is: "Chapter IV. Crosses the Potomac Into Maryland--Capture of Poolsville--Yankee Scouts Capture Important Despachtes--Our Cavalry Recapture Them--Circumstances Alter Cases--Fights In Fredericktown, Middleton, On Buckettsville Road, And South Mountain--Capture of Harper's Ferry--The Battle of Antietam--A Remarkable Coincidence--Affair at Boteler's Mill."
            Some of the information is descriptive such as I posted here earlier; the rest is more or less anecdotal. Unless you have an abiding interest in Hampton's cavalry, I'm not sure the book would be that useful to you. I would be more than happy to copy the 19 pages I mentioned and mail them to you if you send me your mailing address by private email.

            Regards,
            Teej

            .