Re: [TalkAntietam] The Orbats at Antietam

  • Bryn Monnery
    Message 1 of 68 , Feb 4, 2009
      You're correct of course.

      DH Hill's "Centre Wing" was a bit of a cypher, the divisions operating separately by the provisions of SO191. McLaws' Division had been formed into a 4th wing by the addition of Longstreet's Division (RH Anderson) and another small division from Longstreet's wing (which was originally part of Longstreet's Division and simply returned to it), and Walker was operating independently.

      Thus all that was on the field at Antietam before Jackson comes in is Longstreet's command with 2 divisions (DR Jones and Hood) and Walton's artillery and DH Hill's command with his own division and 3 Bns of arty reserve.

      Longstreet posts Hood on the left, with SD Lee's arty, Jones on the right, with Walton, and DH Hill in the centre with the remaining two Bns.

      When Jackson comes in, he is assigned to take the left wing (his traditional position as 2nd Maj Gen). Hood doesn't reunite with Longstreet, but instead retires slightly (replaced by Ewell's division) and allows his men to cook for the first time that day. I have no idea whether Hood was supposed to return to Longstreet or not, but he certainly fights under Jackson's aegis the next day.

      McLaws' 4th Wing arrives very early on the 17th, and is held by Lee behind Sharpsburg as a reserve. They are forwarded to Jackson (McLaws') and DH Hill (Longstreet's) later. I have just rechecked the reports of McLaws' brigadiers and it does seem (http://www.civilwarhome.com/macraeantietam.htm ) that McLaws' was indeed still under DH Hill....

      Walker's encounters Longstreet initially and Longstreet grabs him to replace Hood's, but Lee orders Walker north later, but Walker's report shows he was still receiving orders from Longstreet later in the battle (specifically to shift to reinforce DH Hill).

      Thus it now seems that only three divisions had the "wrong wing" in command, Walker (Longstreet, not Hill), Hood (Jackson, not Longstreet) and AP Hill (Longstreet, not Jackson).

      My thoughts have been that the idea of a fluid command structure is in part due to DH Hill being a "Corps Commander" has only been reintroduced ca 10 years ago (Harsh's trilogy), and people have been trying to interpret actions assuming the 7th October organisation.

      Message 68 of 68 , Feb 12, 2009
        Jackson has some real problems as a tactical commander, and he keeps making
        the same mistakes, which suggests that he wasn't very introspective about
        developing those skills. None of his battles really display a flair for tactics,
        even Chancellorsville, where his choices of divisions in line instead of
        column greatly complicated his own attack.

        That said, he was quite effective at what we today would call the
        operational art.

        Dave Powell

        In a message dated 2/11/2009 3:21:43 P.M. Central Standard Time,
        gerry1952@... writes:

        Gary Echelbarger is also a great source on the Valley Campaign of
        1862. Mildly said, Jackson got very lucky in the Valley in 1862..
        the only Federal commander to beat him, and do so pretty soundly,
        was James Shields. (Even there, actual field commander was Nathan
        Kimball.) That said, Jackson had, after Shields, mediocre Federal
        commanders to contend with....

        now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000001)