Harpers Ferry on endangered list

  • rotbaron@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002
      From today's Hagerstown Herald-Mail....

      "Civil War battlefields on endangered list"

      The Harpers Ferry Civil War battlefield is one of the 10 most endangered in
      the nation, according to a watchdog group's list released Tuesday. The Civil
      War Preservation Trust named battlefields in Harpers Ferry, Gettysburg, Pa.,
      and six other states as the most threatened by development.

      The Trust also named 15 other battlefields as "at-risk," one step below the
      top 10. None of the other 15 are in the Tri-State region. The Trust, a
      nonprofit battlefield preservation organization, said that 2,729 of the 7,199
      acres in the Harpers Ferry battlefield area are protected.

      Harpers Ferry National Historical Park spokeswoman Marsha Starkey said 2,300
      acres are within the park boundaries. She said she didn't know how the other
      429 acres are protected. Starkey said "it's an honor" for the battlefield to
      be on the Civil War Preservation Trust list because of the attention it
      draws. At the same time, "Our hope is (that) sometime in the future we won't
      make the list," she said.

      In 1993, the Civil War Sites Advisory Commission identified 384 U.S.
      battlefields and rated their historical significance and likelihood of
      preservation, Civil War Preservation Trust spokesman Jim Campi said. The
      Harpers Ferry battlefield is ranked Priority I (highest possibility of
      preservation) and Class B (second-highest historical significance).

      At a battle in Harpers Ferry in September 1862, more than 12,000 Union
      soldiers surrendered to Gen. Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson's Confederate
      force. Developers are considering building 188 houses and a 130-foot water
      tower on 99 acres near the park. The parcel, west of the park, is known as
      Murphy's Farm.

      Opponents have said the project would mar the landscape and desecrate a
      historically important piece of Civil War and civil rights history. The
      property was once home to abolitionist John Brown's fort. After convening the
      Niagara Movement at Harpers Ferry in 1906, W.E.B. DuBois went on to help
      found the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People.

      The Park Service has been mentioned as a possible buyer for Murphy's Farm.
      Under a mandate from Congress, the Park Service will hold four public
      meetings in March about expanding the park. Starkey said up to 500 acres are
      being considered, "a good percentage of it" to the west.

      Another 280 acres on Schoolhouse Ridge, outside the national park, also are
      vulnerable to development, Campi said. The Trust started compiling its annual
      list last year. Harpers Ferry was on that list, too.

      At its Web site, the Trust says its goal is "to preserve historical
      battlefield land through outright purchases, conservation easements, and
      partnerships with federal, state, and local governments." The Trust says it
      has helped protect more than 14,000 acres in 18 states.

      POSTED BY: Tom Shay
    • kamills
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002
        Tom

        I have read both of these articles you posted today. Just out of
        curiosity, how did Antietam rank? I think it would have to be
        pretty low, as nothing has been built in Sharpsburg since the
        battle. Is there much of the Antietam battlefield that has been
        lost? If so, which areas.

        Thank you
        Andy
      • rotbaron@aol.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002
          In a message dated 02/27/2002 2:18:15 PM EST, kamills@... writes:
          << have read both of these articles you posted today. Just out of
          curiosity, how did Antietam rank? >>

          Andy,

          The entire report is at:

          http://www.civilwar.org/topten2002/atriskbattlefields.htm

          Tom Shay
        • David Lutton
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002

            Thanks for the article. Of particular concern to me was the threat to the
            Schoolhouse Ridge area. Several years ago, I was attempting to get a
            better grasp of the action at Harper's Ferry. After viewing the area from
            Schoolhouse Ridge I believe I got a clearer picture of the seige from
            Jackson's perspective. If I remember correctly the ground from the ridge
            was rather open as it ascended onto the Union position at the Heights
            beyond. I hope this important ground is not lost.

            David Lutton
            Hollidaysburg Pa

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002
              David,

              IIRC, but I think CWPT is doing something about that very
              area...........

              Your humble servant,
              Gerry Mayers
              Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

              Edward Lee

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              Sponsor ---------------------~-->

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002
                Andy,

                Tom might have answered your post already, but while the
                Sharpsburg area is more or less intact, the danger there is from
                possible development, as in housing developments.

                In the past decade or so, the growth of the Hagerstown area has
                spurred development all down the SR 65 and I-81 corridor.

                CWPT was able to save a very large chunk of ground over which
                Confederate troops advanced to the West Woods/Cornfield/Dunkard
                Church sector.

                Now needing to be preserved is important ground just adjacent to
                and behind the site of Lee's Headquarters area.

                SHAF, to which I also belong, is working with the NPS to help
                preserve other sites equally important to the battle and the
                campaign.

                Hope this helps.

                Your humble servant,
                Gerry Mayers
                Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                Edward Lee

                Sponsor ---------------------~-->
                > FREE COLLEGE MONEY
                > CLICK HERE to search
                > 600,000 scholarships!
                > http://us.click.yahoo.com/iZp8OC/4m7CAA/ySSFAA/GmiolB/TM
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Tom Clemens
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 27, 2002
                  Andy,
                  Don't get too worked up about the ranking. It is not a scientific or even an
                  objective process. It is based on the level of threat, but also on a lot of
                  other factors. Notice its regional balance? Also depends on how "sexy"
                  (their words, not mine) the battlefield is, NPS agenda, etc. It is sort of a
                  cynical fund-raising technique, but it does not mean that these battlefields
                  do not need help, they do.
                  Tom Clemens

                  kamills wrote:

                  > Tom
                  >
                  > I have read both of these articles you posted today. Just out of
                  > curiosity, how did Antietam rank? I think it would have to be
                  > pretty low, as nothing has been built in Sharpsburg since the
                  > battle. Is there much of the Antietam battlefield that has been
                  > lost? If so, which areas.
                  >
                  > Thank you
                  > Andy

                • scottmingus
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
                    Does anyone know of a good set of detialed maps for Harper's Ferry
                    fighting (similar to Mike Priest's highly detailed maps in his
                    Antietam and South Mountain books)? I'm trying to understand the
                    tactical challenges of the envelopment of the town for a possible
                    wargame scenario.

                    The detailed map should be regimental level and show the positions of
                    individual regiments and batteries. Does such a map exist? I know so
                    little about this particular fight, and have zero useful references
                    in terms of maps and sketches in my collection.

                    Scott Mingus
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 2, 2002
                      Scott,

                      Would the maps in the Official Atlas for the Official Records of
                      the War of the Rebellion be of assistance?

                      Your humble servant,
                      Gerry Mayers
                      Co. B, "Tom Green Rifles",

                      Edward Lee