Re: re Hospital site identification in CS Army

    Message 1 of 14 , Feb 3, 2009
      Dave,

      Excellent info on that link, thank you. I now have another bookmark,
      too.

      Larry F.

      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "flagflop" <dwgaddy@...> wrote:

      > Gerry and T'other Dave,
      >
      > Check out two postings by Tom Martin (Piedmont Flag Company) on the
      > Civil War Flags Message Board, his 8665 of 3 Dec and his follow-up,
      > msg 8670 of 5 Dec 2008, the latter at http://history-sites.com/cgi-
      > bin/bbs53x/cwflags/webbbs_config.pl?read=8670--- Per his extensive
      > research, he points out all of the complications -- that red
      > (probably from European precedent) had been specified in regs, and
      > that yellow was the quarantine flag. He goes on to note variations
      in
      > usage by area, time period, commanding general, military vs.
      civilian
      > doctors, hospital organization vs. ambulance corps, and other
      facets.

      > Dave Gaddy
      > -----------------------------
      > In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, Dave <gewehr@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Gerry and Dave, the citations I found for the yellow flag were
      for
      > > field hospital, and were very early in the war. I did find a
      > citation
      > > for a red flag on a ANV hospital ambulance. The quote I cited
      > > previously, that any soldier would recognize the yellow flag as a
      > > hospital, leads me to think that yellow was the normal flag color
      > at
      > > that time. But, it's only a guess. Since one of the quotes was
      > from
      > > Sumter, was the yellow flag standard for a field hospital in the
      > pre-war
      > > army, and later changed by both sides? Would a field hospital
      and
      > > main hospital have different color flags?
      > >
      > > Maybe you could contact the folks at the Pry house. The
      gentleman
      > in
      > > there is very helpful and may have connections with the main ACW
      > medical
      > > museum. I spent an enjoyable hour picking his brain in October,
      > but
      > > never caught his name.
      > >
      > > Dave McGowan
      > >
      > > G E Mayers wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Dear Dave,
      > > >
      > > > Thanks for all the info. I do have a facsimile copy of the 1863
      > > > revision of the "Regulations for the Army of the Confederate
      > > > States" and was fairly sure the specific color was indeed red. I
      > > > also have an electronic copy of the respective US Army
      > > > Regulations.
      > > >
      > > > However, there is documentation the Union Army used a yellow
      > > > rectangular flag with a large green H in the center. And, as you
      > > > cite Phil Katcher (who is truly quite knowledgeable about the
      > > > ANVa), that sounds pretty convincing to me.
      > > >
      > > > Would wonder if there were any General Orders from the War
      > > > Department in Richmond, either via the Adjutant and Inspector
      > > > General 's Office or the Medical Bureau modifying the stated
      > > > regulations?
      > > >
      > > > I also have a copy of J. Boone Bartholmees's excellent
      work "Buff
      > > > Facings and Gilt Buttons: Staff and Headquarters Operations in
      > > > the Army of Northern Virginia: 1861-1865", which does state the
      > > > & IGO _did_ modify the regulations as published in the official
      > > > regulations books by means of General Orders.
      > > >
      > > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
      > > > G E "Gerry" Mayers
      > > >
      > > > To Be A Virginian, either by birth, marriage, adoption, or even
      > > > on one's mother's side, is an introduction to any state in the
      > > > Union, a passport to any foreign country, and a benediction from
      > > > the Almighty God. --Anonymous
      CS

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 3, 2009
        Dear Dave,

        Good info on that post! However, re the yellow flagged hospitals
        vs the red flag ones...IIRC both armies had to resort to using
        contracted surgeons, largely civilians, to help handle the
        massive influx of wounded and dying that would require medical
        attention after each major battle.