Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: re Hospital site identification in CS Army

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 31, 2009
      Dear Dave,

      Both your emails...this one and the private one...received. What
      you state makes sense to me.

      Yellow flag, without any adornment, works for me.

      Thanks!

      (Adam, thank you also!)

      Message 2 of 14 , Feb 1, 2009

        1862 and 1863 CS Army Regs, para 714, specify red. (Same in US Army
        Revised Regs 1861, para 736 as marker for "the ambulance depot.")
        However, I see in Philip Katcher's 1994 "The Army of Robert E. Lee,"
        p. 170, citing J.O. Casler of Stonewall Brigade, that in the ANV
        hospitals were marked with yellow, rather than red.

        Dave Gaddy

        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 1, 2009
          Dear Dave,

          Thanks for all the info. I do have a facsimile copy of the 1863
          revision of the "Regulations for the Army of the Confederate
          States" and was fairly sure the specific color was indeed red. I
          also have an electronic copy of the respective US Army
          Regulations.

          However, there is documentation the Union Army used a yellow
          rectangular flag with a large green H in the center. And, as you
          cite Phil Katcher (who is truly quite knowledgeable about the
          ANVa), that sounds pretty convincing to me.

          Would wonder if there were any General Orders from the War
          Department in Richmond, either via the Adjutant and Inspector
          General 's Office or the Medical Bureau modifying the stated
          regulations?

          I also have a copy of J. Boone Bartholmees's excellent work "Buff
          Facings and Gilt Buttons: Staff and Headquarters Operations in
          the Army of Northern Virginia: 1861-1865", which does state the A
          & IGO _did_ modify the regulations as published in the official
          regulations books by means of General Orders.

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers"
          <gerry1952@...>
          wrote:

          > Gang,
          >
          > Can anyone tell me quickly what the CS Army would have used as
          > flag to identify a hospital? IIRC the Union Armies used a
          > yellow
          > flag with a green H in the center; however, I am not sure what
          > the Confederacy would have used.
          >
          > If the information is in the relevant CS Regulations, just
          > point
          > me to where and I can go look therein.
          >
          > Thanks!

          > from
          > the Almighty God. --Anonymous

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 1, 2009
            Gerry and Dave, the citations I found for the yellow flag were for a
            field hospital, and were very early in the war. I did find a citation
            for a red flag on a ANV hospital ambulance. The quote I cited
            previously, that any soldier would recognize the yellow flag as a
            hospital, leads me to think that yellow was the normal flag color at
            that time. But, it's only a guess. Since one of the quotes was from
            Sumter, was the yellow flag standard for a field hospital in the pre-war
            army, and later changed by both sides? Would a field hospital and a
            main hospital have different color flags?

            Maybe you could contact the folks at the Pry house. The gentleman in
            there is very helpful and may have connections with the main ACW medical
            museum. I spent an enjoyable hour picking his brain in October, but
            never caught his name.

            Dave McGowan

            G E Mayers wrote:

            > Dear Dave,
            >
            > Thanks for all the info. I do have a facsimile copy of the 1863
            > revision of the "Regulations for the Army of the Confederate
            > States" and was fairly sure the specific color was indeed red. I
            > also have an electronic copy of the respective US Army
            > Regulations.
            >
            > However, there is documentation the Union Army used a yellow
            > rectangular flag with a large green H in the center. And, as you
            > cite Phil Katcher (who is truly quite knowledgeable about the
            > ANVa), that sounds pretty convincing to me.
            >
            > Would wonder if there were any General Orders from the War
            > Department in Richmond, either via the Adjutant and Inspector
            > General 's Office or the Medical Bureau modifying the stated
            > regulations?
            >
            > I also have a copy of J. Boone Bartholmees's excellent work "Buff
            > Facings and Gilt Buttons: Staff and Headquarters Operations in
            > the Army of Northern Virginia: 1861-1865", which does state the A
            > & IGO _did_ modify the regulations as published in the official
            > regulations books by means of General Orders.

          • flagflop
            Message 5 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
              Gerry and T'other Dave,

              Check out two postings by Tom Martin (Piedmont Flag Company) on the
              Civil War Flags Message Board, his 8665 of 3 Dec and his follow-up,
              msg 8670 of 5 Dec 2008, the latter at http://history-sites.com/cgi-
              bin/bbs53x/cwflags/webbbs_config.pl?read=8670--- Per his extensive
              research, he points out all of the complications -- that red
              (probably from European precedent) had been specified in regs, and
              that yellow was the quarantine flag. He goes on to note variations in
              usage by area, time period, commanding general, military vs. civilian
              doctors, hospital organization vs. ambulance corps, and other facets.

              Dave Gaddy
              -----------------------------

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3, 2009
                Dave,

                Excellent info on that link, thank you. I now have another bookmark,
                too.

                Larry F.

                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 3, 2009
                  Dear Dave,

                  Good info on that post! However, re the yellow flagged hospitals
                  vs the red flag ones...IIRC both armies had to resort to using
                  contracted surgeons, largely civilians, to help handle the
                  massive influx of wounded and dying that would require medical
                  attention after each major battle.