Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: re Hospital site identification in CS Army

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 30, 2009
      Steve,

      Did the book seem to indicate this was common practice?

      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 30, 2009

        Sorry---there was nothing else mentioned. The only other reference to
        a CS hospital flag in McGrath's book is from a York Times
        correspondent, who was present during the initial Federal cavalry
        occupation of Sharpsburg on 9/19 (the article itself was published on
        9/25). The excerpt is:

        “[We] dashed on a hurried trot through Sharpsburg. There was firing
        from batteries in front, and dead horses lay in the fields along the
        road. Hospital flags waved from chimney tops, where the Rebel wounded
        were left. Camps, but just deserted, with fires still smoking, were
        seen on each side, but there was no particular evidence of haste in
        their mode of departure.”

        Steve

        > Steve,
        >
        > Did the book seem to indicate this was common practice?

      • Adam Zimmerli
        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 31, 2009
          I thought that I saw somewhere in Mary Bedinger Mitchell's account of
          the battle that people in Shepherdstown used yellow flags. I don't
          have my Battles and Leaders in front of me, so I can't quote from the
          article, but I think that vol. II has the story.

          Adam Zimmerli

          --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "cowie_steve" <cowie_steve@...>
          wrote:

          > Gerry,
          >
          > Sorry---there was nothing else mentioned. The only other reference to
          > a CS hospital flag in McGrath's book is from a York Times
          > correspondent, who was present during the initial Federal cavalry
          > occupation of Sharpsburg on 9/19 (the article itself was published on
          > 9/25). The excerpt is:
          >
          > “[We] dashed on a hurried trot through Sharpsburg. There was firing
          > from batteries in front, and dead horses lay in the fields along the
          > road. Hospital flags waved from chimney tops, where the Rebel wounded
          > were left. Camps, but just deserted, with fires still smoking, were
          > seen on each side, but there was no particular evidence of haste in
          > their mode of departure.”
          >
          > Steve
          >
          > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Steve,
          > >
          > > Did the book seem to indicate this was common practice?
          > >
          > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
          > > G E "Gerry" Mayers

          > > the Almighty God. --Anonymous

        • Richard Weghorst
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 31, 2009
            Nice call, Adam. On p. 692 of Battles and Leaders, Mary Bedinger Mitchell states, "Some one [sic] suggested that yellow was the hospital color, and immediately everybody who could lay hands upon a yellow rag hoisted it over the house. The whole town was a hospital; there was scarcely a building that could not with truth seek protection under that plea, and the fantastic little strips were soon flaunting their ineffectual remonstrance from every roof-tree and chimney..."

            Richard Weghorst

            wrote:

            > Gerry,
            >
            > Sorry---there was nothing else mentioned. The only other reference to
            > a CS hospital flag in McGrath's book is from a York Times
            > correspondent, who was present during the initial Federal cavalry
            > occupation of Sharpsburg on 9/19 (the article itself was published on
            > 9/25). The excerpt is:
            >
            > “[We] dashed on a hurried trot through Sharpsburg. There was firing
            > from batteries in front, and dead horses lay in the fields along the
            > road. Hospital flags waved from chimney tops, where the Rebel wounded
            > were left. Camps, but just deserted, with fires still smoking, were
            > seen on each side, but there was no particular evidence of haste in
            > their mode of departure.”
            >
            > Steve
            >
            > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@> wrote:
            > >
            > > Steve,
            > >
            > > Did the book seem to indicate this was common practice?
            > >
            > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
            > > G E "Gerry" Mayers

            > > the Almighty God. --Anonymous

          • Dave
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 31, 2009
              Poking around in Google Books, I found a few references to CSA hospital
              flags, all yellow. Southern Literary Messenger, 1863 describing the
              yellow flag as a "...well known sign of a hospital among military men."
              The Moultrie House flew a yellow flag during the bombardment of Ft.
              Sumter in B&L I: 38. The yellow flag was flown in Fla during 1861 in the
              Mil History of Fla p. 37.

              Lots of other references, but they don't bother with the color because
              they figure we all know, it's so obvious.

              Dave McGowan

              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 31, 2009
                Dear Dave,

                Both your emails...this one and the private one...received. What
                you state makes sense to me.

                Yellow flag, without any adornment, works for me.

                Thanks!

                (Adam, thank you also!)

> [...]
                >> > correspondent, who was present during the initial Federal
                >> > cavalry
                >> > occupation of Sharpsburg on 9/19 (the article itself was
                >> > published on
                >> > 9/25). The excerpt is:
                >> >
                >> > “[We] dashed on a hurried trot through Sharpsburg. There
                >> > was firing
                >> > from batteries in front, and dead horses lay in the fields
                >> > along the
                >> > road. Hospital flags waved from chimney tops, where the
                >> > Rebel wounded
                >> > were left. Camps, but just deserted, with fires still
                >> > smoking, were
                >> > seen on each side, but there was no particular evidence of
                >> > haste in
                >> > their mode of departure.�
                >> >
                >> > Steve
                >> >
                >> > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
                >> <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "G E Mayers"

              • flagflop
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 1, 2009

                  1862 and 1863 CS Army Regs, para 714, specify red. (Same in US Army
                  Revised Regs 1861, para 736 as marker for "the ambulance depot.")
                  However, I see in Philip Katcher's 1994 "The Army of Robert E. Lee,"
                  p. 170, citing J.O. Casler of Stonewall Brigade, that in the ANV
                  hospitals were marked with yellow, rather than red.

                  Dave Gaddy

                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 1, 2009
                    Dear Dave,

                    Thanks for all the info. I do have a facsimile copy of the 1863
                    revision of the "Regulations for the Army of the Confederate
                    States" and was fairly sure the specific color was indeed red. I
                    also have an electronic copy of the respective US Army
                    Regulations.

                    However, there is documentation the Union Army used a yellow
                    rectangular flag with a large green H in the center. And, as you
                    cite Phil Katcher (who is truly quite knowledgeable about the
                    ANVa), that sounds pretty convincing to me.

                    Would wonder if there were any General Orders from the War
                    Department in Richmond, either via the Adjutant and Inspector
                    General 's Office or the Medical Bureau modifying the stated
                    regulations?

                    I also have a copy of J. Boone Bartholmees's excellent work "Buff
                    Facings and Gilt Buttons: Staff and Headquarters Operations in
                    the Army of Northern Virginia: 1861-1865", which does state the A
                    & IGO _did_ modify the regulations as published in the official
                    regulations books by means of General Orders.

                    wrote:

                    > Gang,
                    >
                    > Can anyone tell me quickly what the CS Army would have used as
                    > flag to identify a hospital? IIRC the Union Armies used a
                    > yellow
                    > flag with a green H in the center; however, I am not sure what
                    > the Confederacy would have used.
                    >
                    > If the information is in the relevant CS Regulations, just
                    > point
                    > me to where and I can go look therein.
                    >
                    > Thanks!

                    > from
                    > the Almighty God. --Anonymous

                  • Dave
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 1, 2009
                      Gerry and Dave, the citations I found for the yellow flag were for a
                      field hospital, and were very early in the war. I did find a citation
                      for a red flag on a ANV hospital ambulance. The quote I cited
                      previously, that any soldier would recognize the yellow flag as a
                      hospital, leads me to think that yellow was the normal flag color at
                      that time. But, it's only a guess. Since one of the quotes was from
                      Sumter, was the yellow flag standard for a field hospital in the pre-war
                      army, and later changed by both sides? Would a field hospital and a
                      main hospital have different color flags?

                      Maybe you could contact the folks at the Pry house. The gentleman in
                      there is very helpful and may have connections with the main ACW medical
                      museum. I spent an enjoyable hour picking his brain in October, but
                      never caught his name.

                      Dave McGowan

                      G E Mayers wrote:

                      > Dear Dave,
                      >
                      > Thanks for all the info. I do have a facsimile copy of the 1863
                      > revision of the "Regulations for the Army of the Confederate
                      > States" and was fairly sure the specific color was indeed red. I
                      > also have an electronic copy of the respective US Army
                      > Regulations.
                      >
                      > However, there is documentation the Union Army used a yellow
                      > rectangular flag with a large green H in the center. And, as you
                      > cite Phil Katcher (who is truly quite knowledgeable about the
                      > ANVa), that sounds pretty convincing to me.
                      >
                      > Would wonder if there were any General Orders from the War
                      > Department in Richmond, either via the Adjutant and Inspector
                      > General 's Office or the Medical Bureau modifying the stated
                      > regulations?
                      >
                      > I also have a copy of J. Boone Bartholmees's excellent work "Buff
                      > Facings and Gilt Buttons: Staff and Headquarters Operations in
                      > the Army of Northern Virginia: 1861-1865", which does state the A
                      > & IGO _did_ modify the regulations as published in the official
                      > regulations books by means of General Orders.

                    • flagflop
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
                        Gerry and T'other Dave,

                        Check out two postings by Tom Martin (Piedmont Flag Company) on the
                        Civil War Flags Message Board, his 8665 of 3 Dec and his follow-up,
                        msg 8670 of 5 Dec 2008, the latter at http://history-sites.com/cgi-
                        bin/bbs53x/cwflags/webbbs_config.pl?read=8670--- Per his extensive
                        research, he points out all of the complications -- that red
                        (probably from European precedent) had been specified in regs, and
                        that yellow was the quarantine flag. He goes on to note variations in
                        usage by area, time period, commanding general, military vs. civilian
                        doctors, hospital organization vs. ambulance corps, and other facets.

                        Dave Gaddy
                        -----------------------------

                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 3, 2009
                          Dave,

                          Excellent info on that link, thank you. I now have another bookmark,
                          too.

                          Larry F.

                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 3, 2009
                            Dear Dave,

                            Good info on that post! However, re the yellow flagged hospitals
                            vs the red flag ones...IIRC both armies had to resort to using
                            contracted surgeons, largely civilians, to help handle the
                            massive influx of wounded and dying that would require medical
                            attention after each major battle.