re Hospital site identification in CS Army

    Message 1 of 14 , Jan 30, 2009
      Gang,

      Can anyone tell me quickly what the CS Army would have used as a
      flag to identify a hospital? IIRC the Union Armies used a yellow
      flag with a green H in the center; however, I am not sure what
      the Confederacy would have used.

      If the information is in the relevant CS Regulations, just point
      me to where and I can go look therein.

      Thanks!

    • cowie_steve
      Message 2 of 14 , Jan 30, 2009

        McGrath mentions in "Last Clash" that Shepherdstown's CS hospitals
        after Antietam were marked by yellow flags posted on the roofs. No
        other details were provided.

        Best,

        Steve

        Message 3 of 14 , Jan 30, 2009
          Steve,

          Did the book seem to indicate this was common practice?

          McGrath mentions in "Last Clash" that Shepherdstown's CS
          hospitals
          after Antietam were marked by yellow flags posted on the roofs.
          No
          other details were provided.

          Best,

          Steve

          > Gang,
          >
          > Can anyone tell me quickly what the CS Army would have used as
          > flag to identify a hospital? IIRC the Union Armies used a
          > yellow
          > flag with a green H in the center; however, I am not sure what
          > the Confederacy would have used.
          >
          > If the information is in the relevant CS Regulations, just
          > point
          > me to where and I can go look therein.
          >
          > Thanks!

          > from
          > the Almighty God. --Anonymous

        • cowie_steve
          Message 4 of 14 , Jan 30, 2009

            Sorry---there was nothing else mentioned. The only other reference to
            a CS hospital flag in McGrath's book is from a York Times
            correspondent, who was present during the initial Federal cavalry
            occupation of Sharpsburg on 9/19 (the article itself was published on
            9/25). The excerpt is:

            “[We] dashed on a hurried trot through Sharpsburg. There was firing
            from batteries in front, and dead horses lay in the fields along the
            road. Hospital flags waved from chimney tops, where the Rebel wounded
            were left. Camps, but just deserted, with fires still smoking, were
            seen on each side, but there was no particular evidence of haste in
            their mode of departure.”

            Steve

            > Steve,
            >
            > Did the book seem to indicate this was common practice?

          • Adam Zimmerli
            Message 5 of 14 , Jan 31, 2009
              I thought that I saw somewhere in Mary Bedinger Mitchell's account of
              the battle that people in Shepherdstown used yellow flags. I don't
              have my Battles and Leaders in front of me, so I can't quote from the
              article, but I think that vol. II has the story.

              Adam Zimmerli

              --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "cowie_steve" <cowie_steve@...>
              wrote:

              > Gerry,
              >
              > Sorry---there was nothing else mentioned. The only other reference to
              > a CS hospital flag in McGrath's book is from a York Times
              > correspondent, who was present during the initial Federal cavalry
              > occupation of Sharpsburg on 9/19 (the article itself was published on
              > 9/25). The excerpt is:
              >
              > “[We] dashed on a hurried trot through Sharpsburg. There was firing
              > from batteries in front, and dead horses lay in the fields along the
              > road. Hospital flags waved from chimney tops, where the Rebel wounded
              > were left. Camps, but just deserted, with fires still smoking, were
              > seen on each side, but there was no particular evidence of haste in
              > their mode of departure.”
              >
              > Steve
              >
              > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Steve,
              > >
              > > Did the book seem to indicate this was common practice?
              > >
              > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
              > > G E "Gerry" Mayers

              > > the Almighty God. --Anonymous

            • Richard Weghorst
              Message 6 of 14 , Jan 31, 2009
                Nice call, Adam. On p. 692 of Battles and Leaders, Mary Bedinger Mitchell states, "Some one [sic] suggested that yellow was the hospital color, and immediately everybody who could lay hands upon a yellow rag hoisted it over the house. The whole town was a hospital; there was scarcely a building that could not with truth seek protection under that plea, and the fantastic little strips were soon flaunting their ineffectual remonstrance from every roof-tree and chimney..."

                Richard Weghorst

                wrote:

                > Gerry,
                >
                > Sorry---there was nothing else mentioned. The only other reference to
                > a CS hospital flag in McGrath's book is from a York Times
                > correspondent, who was present during the initial Federal cavalry
                > occupation of Sharpsburg on 9/19 (the article itself was published on
                > 9/25). The excerpt is:
                >
                > “[We] dashed on a hurried trot through Sharpsburg. There was firing
                > from batteries in front, and dead horses lay in the fields along the
                > road. Hospital flags waved from chimney tops, where the Rebel wounded
                > were left. Camps, but just deserted, with fires still smoking, were
                > seen on each side, but there was no particular evidence of haste in
                > their mode of departure.”
                >
                > Steve
                >
                > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@> wrote:
                > >
                > > Steve,
                > >
                > > Did the book seem to indicate this was common practice?
                > >
                > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
                > > G E "Gerry" Mayers

                > > the Almighty God. --Anonymous

              • Dave
                Message 7 of 14 , Jan 31, 2009
                  Poking around in Google Books, I found a few references to CSA hospital
                  flags, all yellow. Southern Literary Messenger, 1863 describing the
                  yellow flag as a "...well known sign of a hospital among military men."
                  The Moultrie House flew a yellow flag during the bombardment of Ft.
                  Sumter in B&L I: 38. The yellow flag was flown in Fla during 1861 in the
                  Mil History of Fla p. 37.

                  Lots of other references, but they don't bother with the color because
                  they figure we all know, it's so obvious.

                  Dave McGowan

                  Message 8 of 14 , Jan 31, 2009
                    Dear Dave,

                    Both your emails...this one and the private one...received. What
                    you state makes sense to me.

                    Yellow flag, without any adornment, works for me.

                    Thanks!

                    (Adam, thank you also!)

> [...]
                    >> > correspondent, who was present during the initial Federal
                    >> > cavalry
                    >> > occupation of Sharpsburg on 9/19 (the article itself was
                    >> > published on
                    >> > 9/25). The excerpt is:
                    >> >
                    >> > “[We] dashed on a hurried trot through Sharpsburg. There
                    >> > was firing
                    >> > from batteries in front, and dead horses lay in the fields
                    >> > along the
                    >> > road. Hospital flags waved from chimney tops, where the
                    >> > Rebel wounded
                    >> > were left. Camps, but just deserted, with fires still
                    >> > smoking, were
                    >> > seen on each side, but there was no particular evidence of
                    >> > haste in
                    >> > their mode of departure.�
                    >> >
                    >> > Steve
                    >> >
                    >> > --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com
                    >> <mailto:TalkAntietam%40yahoogroups.com>, "G E Mayers"

                  • flagflop
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 1, 2009

                      1862 and 1863 CS Army Regs, para 714, specify red. (Same in US Army
                      Revised Regs 1861, para 736 as marker for "the ambulance depot.")
                      However, I see in Philip Katcher's 1994 "The Army of Robert E. Lee,"
                      p. 170, citing J.O. Casler of Stonewall Brigade, that in the ANV
                      hospitals were marked with yellow, rather than red.

                      Dave Gaddy

                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 1, 2009
                        Dear Dave,

                        Thanks for all the info. I do have a facsimile copy of the 1863
                        revision of the "Regulations for the Army of the Confederate
                        States" and was fairly sure the specific color was indeed red. I
                        also have an electronic copy of the respective US Army
                        Regulations.

                        However, there is documentation the Union Army used a yellow
                        rectangular flag with a large green H in the center. And, as you
                        cite Phil Katcher (who is truly quite knowledgeable about the
                        ANVa), that sounds pretty convincing to me.

                        Would wonder if there were any General Orders from the War
                        Department in Richmond, either via the Adjutant and Inspector
                        General 's Office or the Medical Bureau modifying the stated
                        regulations?

                        I also have a copy of J. Boone Bartholmees's excellent work "Buff
                        Facings and Gilt Buttons: Staff and Headquarters Operations in
                        the Army of Northern Virginia: 1861-1865", which does state the A
                        & IGO _did_ modify the regulations as published in the official
                        regulations books by means of General Orders.

                        wrote:

                        > Gang,
                        >
                        > Can anyone tell me quickly what the CS Army would have used as
                        > flag to identify a hospital? IIRC the Union Armies used a
                        > yellow
                        > flag with a green H in the center; however, I am not sure what
                        > the Confederacy would have used.
                        >
                        > If the information is in the relevant CS Regulations, just
                        > point
                        > me to where and I can go look therein.
                        >
                        > Thanks!

                        > from
                        > the Almighty God. --Anonymous

                      • Dave
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 1, 2009
                          Gerry and Dave, the citations I found for the yellow flag were for a
                          field hospital, and were very early in the war. I did find a citation
                          for a red flag on a ANV hospital ambulance. The quote I cited
                          previously, that any soldier would recognize the yellow flag as a
                          hospital, leads me to think that yellow was the normal flag color at
                          that time. But, it's only a guess. Since one of the quotes was from
                          Sumter, was the yellow flag standard for a field hospital in the pre-war
                          army, and later changed by both sides? Would a field hospital and a
                          main hospital have different color flags?

                          Maybe you could contact the folks at the Pry house. The gentleman in
                          there is very helpful and may have connections with the main ACW medical
                          museum. I spent an enjoyable hour picking his brain in October, but
                          never caught his name.

                          Dave McGowan

                          G E Mayers wrote:

                          > Dear Dave,
                          >
                          > Thanks for all the info. I do have a facsimile copy of the 1863
                          > revision of the "Regulations for the Army of the Confederate
                          > States" and was fairly sure the specific color was indeed red. I
                          > also have an electronic copy of the respective US Army
                          > Regulations.
                          >
                          > However, there is documentation the Union Army used a yellow
                          > rectangular flag with a large green H in the center. And, as you
                          > cite Phil Katcher (who is truly quite knowledgeable about the
                          > ANVa), that sounds pretty convincing to me.
                          >
                          > Would wonder if there were any General Orders from the War
                          > Department in Richmond, either via the Adjutant and Inspector
                          > General 's Office or the Medical Bureau modifying the stated
                          > regulations?
                          >
                          > I also have a copy of J. Boone Bartholmees's excellent work "Buff
                          > Facings and Gilt Buttons: Staff and Headquarters Operations in
                          > the Army of Northern Virginia: 1861-1865", which does state the A
                          > & IGO _did_ modify the regulations as published in the official
                          > regulations books by means of General Orders.

                        • flagflop
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 2, 2009
                            Gerry and T'other Dave,

                            Check out two postings by Tom Martin (Piedmont Flag Company) on the
                            Civil War Flags Message Board, his 8665 of 3 Dec and his follow-up,
                            msg 8670 of 5 Dec 2008, the latter at http://history-sites.com/cgi-
                            bin/bbs53x/cwflags/webbbs_config.pl?read=8670--- Per his extensive
                            research, he points out all of the complications -- that red
                            (probably from European precedent) had been specified in regs, and
                            that yellow was the quarantine flag. He goes on to note variations in
                            usage by area, time period, commanding general, military vs. civilian
                            doctors, hospital organization vs. ambulance corps, and other facets.

                            Dave Gaddy
                            -----------------------------

                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 3, 2009
                              Dave,

                              Excellent info on that link, thank you. I now have another bookmark,
                              too.

                              Larry F.

                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 3, 2009
                                Dear Dave,

                                Good info on that post! However, re the yellow flagged hospitals
                                vs the red flag ones...IIRC both armies had to resort to using
                                contracted surgeons, largely civilians, to help handle the
                                massive influx of wounded and dying that would require medical
                                attention after each major battle.