Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Henry Piper's daughters

  • RoteBaron@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 14, 2009
      The book "Too Afrid To Cry" contains this version of the story:

      That evening the nervous Piper daughters served the generals dinner and, in an attempt to be courteous offered the men wine. Longstreet initially refused, but when he saw General Hill drink some without effect, he said, "Ladies, I will thank you for some of that wine".

      The above version does not specify two daughters.

      Daniel Piper purchased the farm. He was son of Johann Jacob Pfeiffer, who came from Obersetsen, Germany in 1763. His son Henry Piper ran the farm at time of the battle. He had 10 children.

      My notes have these names for daughters: Barbara, Martha, Elizabeth, Mary Ellen, Catherine, Susan.

      If anyone has further details on the story or on the daughters' names, let us know.

      From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
      Steve,

      Thanks! Maybe one of the other members can supply the other
      daughter's name.

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 17, 2009
        Tom S...

        Thanks. Would be interested in hearing if any one else responds
        with the other family member information re the incident.

        Also, IIRC, the present buildings are not the actual footprint
        buildings from September 1862. Has any field survey work been
        done by the NPS at Antietam NBP as far as you are aware?