Henry Piper's daughters

    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 13, 2009
      Gang,

      Anyone know the names of the two daughters of Henry Piper who
      served wine to Generals D H Hill and Longstreet at their house on
      the evening of either 15 or 16 September? I am referring to the
      famous "wine incident".

      Thanks!

    • cowie_steve
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 13, 2009

        One of the Piper daughters was Mary Ellen, who was 21 in 1862. My
        notes fail to document the name of the other daughter.

        Steve

        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 13, 2009
          Steve,

          Thanks! Maybe one of the other members can supply the other
          daughter's name.

        • RoteBaron@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 14, 2009
            The book "Too Afrid To Cry" contains this version of the story:

            That evening the nervous Piper daughters served the generals dinner and, in an attempt to be courteous offered the men wine. Longstreet initially refused, but when he saw General Hill drink some without effect, he said, "Ladies, I will thank you for some of that wine".

            The above version does not specify two daughters.

            Daniel Piper purchased the farm. He was son of Johann Jacob Pfeiffer, who came from Obersetsen, Germany in 1763. His son Henry Piper ran the farm at time of the battle. He had 10 children.

            My notes have these names for daughters: Barbara, Martha, Elizabeth, Mary Ellen, Catherine, Susan.

            If anyone has further details on the story or on the daughters' names, let us know.

            From: "G E Mayers" <gerry1952@...>
            Steve,

            Thanks! Maybe one of the other members can supply the other
            daughter's name.

            One of the Piper daughters was Mary Ellen, who was 21 in 1862. My
            notes fail to document the name of the other daughter.

            Steve

            > Gang,
            >
            > Anyone know the names of the two daughters of Henry Piper who
            > served wine to Generals D H Hill and Longstreet at their house
            > on
            > the evening of either 15 or 16 September? I am referring to the
            > famous "wine incident".
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > Yr. Obt. Svt.
            > G E "Gerry" MayersRecent Activity
            1New Members
            Visit Your Group
            Yahoo! News
            Odd News
            You won't believe
            it, but it's true
            Y! Groups blog
            The place to go
            to stay informed
            on Groups news!
            Group Charity
            i-SAFE
            Keep your kids
            safer online.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jan 17, 2009
              Tom S...

              Thanks. Would be interested in hearing if any one else responds
              with the other family member information re the incident.

              Also, IIRC, the present buildings are not the actual footprint
              buildings from September 1862. Has any field survey work been
              done by the NPS at Antietam NBP as far as you are aware?