Chickamauga Study group March 13-14 2009

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2009
      Folks,

      Here is an update to the Study group, and reminder that if you are
      interested, please make your reservations early.

      Here is a link to the Study group detail:

      _http://www.chattanoogacwrt.org/studygroup2009.htm_
      (http://www.chattanoogacwrt.org/studygroup2009.htm)

      As usual, feel free to pass it around to any interested parties

      Also, on Thursday night, March 12th, there will be an open meeting to allow
      for public input for the new General Management Plan for the CCNMP.

      The meeting will be held between 4 PM to 8 PM, Eastern Time, at the Walker
      Pavilion, Coolidge Park,
      on the North Shore/in North Chattanooga

      It's an open meeting, you can walk in late. The format will be one of
      "stations" where you will have a chance to interact with various NPS officials
      concerning the future use of the military park. We need to talk to as many people
      as we can, and impress upon them the continued interest we have in keeping
      the focus on the parks as MILITARY Parks - their original and most important
      mission.

      If you can attend, please do so.

      CCNMP Study Group 2009 Seminar in the Woods
      Mission Statement: The purpose of the CCNMP Study Group is to create a forum
      to bring students of the American Civil War together to study and explore
      those events in the fall of 1863 that led ultimately to the creation of the
      Chickamauga-Chattanooga National Military Park. The intent is to use the
      indispensable resource of the park itself as an outdoor classroom to promote
      learning and study of the battles for Chattanooga, and to build interest for an
      annual gathering that will in time examine all aspects of the Campaigns for
      Chattanooga. Additionally, we hope to bring students and serious scholars, both
      professional and amateur, to the field to share insights and knowledge about
      the battles.
      Tour Leaders: Jim Ogden, Park Historian, and Dave Powell
      Date: Friday, March 13, and Saturday, March 14, 2009.
      Note: Friday’s tours will involve a tour bus. We will be charging a small
      fee for use of the bus. See below.
      Friday Morning: 8:30 a.m. to Noon. Minty vs. Johnson, September 18th, 1863.
      By Bus, we will examine the opening engagement of the battle, as Bushrod
      Johnson and Nathan Bedford Forrest collided with Minty’s Cavalry Brigade. Stops
      will include Ringgold, Peeler’s Mill site, Peavine Ridge, Reed’s Bridge, and
      conclude at Jay’s Mill. This land is in private hands, but we will have
      ample opportunities to dismount and walk some of the terrain in question.
      Park at the Visitor‘s Center. The bus will depart and return from there.
      Friday Afternoon: 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Rosecrans in Command, September
      17th to 20th, 1863.
      By Bus, we will trace Union Commander William Starke Rosecrans’ movements on
      the field between September 17th and 20th, discussing his command decisions
      and the information he had at the time. Stops will include Crawfish Springs,
      Wilder Tower/Widow Glenn’s, the Visitor’s Center, and the Dyer Orchard HQ
      site.
      Park at the Visitor’s Center. The Bus will depart and return from there.
      Saturday Morning: 8:30 a.m. to Noon. Hindman vs. Sheridan, morning of
      September 20th.
      On foot: We will examine the attack of Hindman’s Division on Sheridan’s
      Federals, after Davis’ division is overwhelmed. We will discuss the fighting in
      South Dyer Field, the storming of Lytle Hill, defeat of Lytle and Walworth’s
      Brigades, and end with Wilder’s repulse of Manigault’s Rebel Brigade.
      Park in the gravel lot by Recreational Field.
      Saturday Afternoon: 1:30 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Hindman assails the end of the
      line: Horseshoe Ridge, September 20th
      On Foot: Horseshoe Ridge provides a dramatic conclusion to the battle of
      Chickamauga. We will discuss the movements of Anderson’s, Manigault’s and Deas’
      Brigades as they make their final attack on Horseshoe Ridge.
      Park at Snodgrass Hill.
      Cost: Beyond the fee for Friday’s Bus, there is no cost for tour
      participation. Meals lodging, transportation, and incidentals, however, are the
      individual’s responsibility.
      Tour Departures: All tours will meet at the Chickamauga Visitor’s Center at
      the designated start time, and will depart from there after some brief
      overview discussion. We will board the bus or car caravan to the designated parking
      area, and from there, we will be on foot. We will be on foot for up to three
      hours, so dress and prepare accordingly. Tours will depart rain or shine.
      Participants are responsible for their own transportation, and should plan
      accordingly. All tours are designed to be self-contained, so participants who
      cannot attend the full schedule are still welcome to join us for any portion of
      the weekend.
      Lodging and Meals: Everyone is responsible for their own lodging and meals.
      There are many hotels in the greater Chattanooga area, for any price range.
      The closest are in Fort Oglethorpe, Georgia, with the least expensive in
      Ringgold. Each tour is designed to leave at least 90 minutes for lunch, and there
      are several family and fast food restaurants within minutes of the
      battlefield. There are designated picnic areas near the Visitor’s Center, for those who
      wish to bring a lunch and eat on the field.
      What to bring: Each tour will involve extensive walking. Proper clothing and
      especially footgear is essential. Dress in layers, wear sturdy, broken-in
      walking shoes or boots, and be prepared for some rain, as spring can be quite
      wet in North Georgia. We will be walking on dirt and gravel trails, uncut
      fields, and through stretches of woods. The ground will be wet and muddy in
      places. Bring your own water and snacks.
      Reading up on the subject: Many people like to prepare in advance for these
      kinds of events. I suggest the following works might be of help.
      Cozzens, Peter. This Terrible Sound. University of Illinois, 1992. The best
      modern study of the battle.
      Gracie, Archibald. The Truth About Chickamauga. Morningside, Reprinted 1987.
      For the veteran Chickamauga student only. Gracie’s narrative is incoherent,
      disorganized, and mistaken in many places. However, his focus is central to
      Saturday Afternoon’s tour, and his work contains a wealth of primary source
      accounts that are not found anywhere else. We will be discussing many of the
      same topics Gracie examines.
      Woodworth, Stephen E. Six Armies In Tennessee: The Chickamauga And
      Chattanooga Campaigns. Lincoln, Nebraska. University of Nebraska Press, 1998; an
      excellent overview campaign study.
      Woodworth, Stephen E. A Deep Steady Thunder: The Battle Of Chickamauga.
      Abilene, Texas. McWhiney Foundation Press, 1998. Concise but very useful account
      of the battle, designed as an introduction to the action. 100 pages, very
      readable.
      Note: Friday’s Tours will be by Bus, as we move from site to site. While the
      tour itself is free, we do have to pay for the bus.
      Pre-registration Fee: $35 Due by February 1st, 2009.
      After November 5th, 2008, send to:
      FRANK CRAWFORD
      34664 ORANGE DRIVE
      PINELLAS PARK, FLORIDA 33781
      Make checks payable to: Frank Crawford.
      Frank will hold your payments. If you pay by check, note that Frank will not
      cash those checks until we have sufficient entries, so that if we have to
      refund, Frank will simply send your checks back to you.
      Please also note that this fee is NON-REFUNDABLE after February 1st, 2009.
      Once we are committed to the bus, we will be charged the booking fee.
      On-site Sign up Fee: $40
      We MUST have 20 attendees registered and Paid by Feb 1st, or we cannot
      reserve the bus. Once we confirm the minimum, you will be able to join the tour
      the day we depart, for late add-ons. If we do not meet the minimum, we will
      car-caravan for Friday’s tours.