Re: re Sorrel's wounding at Antietam and "Battery Longstreet"

  • barringer63
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
      Gerry Mayers wrote:
      Based on what Harsh writes and as a result of his
      > research, I highly doubt Lee was in any shape to do any galloping
      > of any kind.

      FWIW, on October 2, 1862, Lee wrote a letter to Markie Williams in
      which he referred to his "accident." He told her that he still had to
      use a secretary to write his correspondence but otherwise was in good
      health.

      Regards,
      Teej
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
        Dear Teej,

        That letter is a good three weeks after Sharpsburg, at which
        time, I would expect his wrists to have improved by then. IIRC it
        took him almost two months before he could resume total use of
        his hands without pain... that is from the time of the injury on
        31 August.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
          The source of Priest's citation about Lee galloping up, apparently, is a letter from Bart Johnson writing on March 17, 1895 t oteh editor of Confederate Veteran. he says it is in the Lilley collection at the Washington County Library. I'll check it the nexttime I am there, but memory sources 32 years after the event set off my crap detector.