Re: [TalkAntietam] re Sorrel's wounding at Antietam and "Battery Longstreet"

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
      When I write, I like to take note of such inconsistencies, either in a
      footnote or in the text itself. I might still use the quote, but with a caveat.

      It also gives you the chance to check on the historical accuracy of the
      original observer - could he see what he said he saw?

      That's the historian's job, to sort out the wheat from the chaff. I know I
      can string together dozens of quotes from other battles that directly
      contradict each other - but that would make for a very confusing narrative.

      Dave Powell

      In a message dated 1/9/2009 11:33:33 A.M. Central Standard Time,
      d.essig@... writes:

      While that might be the case, it could also be an exaggeration
      written by the historical observer instead.

      I'm not big on Priest's books, but I wouldn't be too quick to drop
      this at his feet.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
        Dear Dave;

        What you cite about Priest is pretty much how I see it too. I
        have, in the past, noticed where his cited footnote source does
        not square with the text itself. To me that is sloppy authorship
        and research.

        That is not to say that perhaps Lee might have ridden up to Cooke
        and made the comment, but I highly suspect Lee would have
        galloped up! First of all, for that early in his tenure as
        commanding general of the ANVa, I do not think that was his
        style. For Longstreet, I could see it but not, IMHO, Lee.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
          Confusing narrative... That could be a valid comment on most of
          what Priest writes......

          > When I write, I like to take note of such inconsistencies,
          > either in a
          > footnote or in the text itself. I might still use the quote,
          > but with a caveat.
          >
          > It also gives you the chance to check on the historical
          > accuracy of the
          > original observer - could he see what he said he saw?
          >
          > That's the historian's job, to sort out the wheat from the
          > chaff. I know I
          > can string together dozens of quotes from other battles that
          > directly
          > contradict each other - but that would make for a very
          > confusing narrative.
          >
          > Dave Powell
          >

          > In a message dated 1/9/2009 11:33:33 A.M. Central Standard
          > Time,
          > d.essig@... writes:
          >
          > While that might be the case, it could also be an exaggeration
          > written by the historical observer instead.
          >
          > I'm not big on Priest's books, but I wouldn't be too quick to
          > drop
          > this at his feet.
          >

          > **************New year...new news. Be the first to know what
          > is making
          > headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)

        • barringer63
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
            Gerry Mayers wrote:
            Based on what Harsh writes and as a result of his
            > research, I highly doubt Lee was in any shape to do any galloping
            > of any kind.

            FWIW, on October 2, 1862, Lee wrote a letter to Markie Williams in
            which he referred to his "accident." He told her that he still had to
            use a secretary to write his correspondence but otherwise was in good
            health.

            Regards,
            Teej
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
              Dear Teej,

              That letter is a good three weeks after Sharpsburg, at which
              time, I would expect his wrists to have improved by then. IIRC it
              took him almost two months before he could resume total use of
              his hands without pain... that is from the time of the injury on
              31 August.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
                The source of Priest's citation about Lee galloping up, apparently, is a letter from Bart Johnson writing on March 17, 1895 t oteh editor of Confederate Veteran. he says it is in the Lilley collection at the Washington County Library. I'll check it the nexttime I am there, but memory sources 32 years after the event set off my crap detector.