Re: [TalkAntietam] re Sorrel's wounding at Antietam and "Battery Longstreet"

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
      On Jan 9, 2009, at 11:30 AM, G E Mayers wrote:

      > So could this be another glaring error by Priest?

      While that might be the case, it could also be an exaggeration
      written by the historical observer instead.

      I'm not big on Priest's books, but I wouldn't be too quick to drop
      this at his feet.

    • DPowell334@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
        I'd like to see the original cite - IMO Priest will use anecdotes if they
        sound good without checking to see how they make sense with the larger picture.

        will have to check when I get home...

        Dave Powell

        In a message dated 1/9/2009 11:30:55 A.M. Central Standard Time,
        gerry1952@... writes:

        Dean,

        The galloped up comment...hmm... I wonder where he got that? I do
        know that the morning of September 16 was possibly the earliest
        Lee could return to Traveller's back. He is seen as being on
        horse on the morning of September 17th but being led by an
        orderly. Joe Harsh pretty convincingly lays out, IMHO, Lee's
        continued lack of mobility even with being able to somewhat ride
        his horse. Based on what Harsh writes and as a result of his
        research, I highly doubt Lee was in any shape to do any galloping
        of any kind.

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
          When I write, I like to take note of such inconsistencies, either in a
          footnote or in the text itself. I might still use the quote, but with a caveat.

          It also gives you the chance to check on the historical accuracy of the
          original observer - could he see what he said he saw?

          That's the historian's job, to sort out the wheat from the chaff. I know I
          can string together dozens of quotes from other battles that directly
          contradict each other - but that would make for a very confusing narrative.

          Dave Powell

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
            Dear Dave;

            What you cite about Priest is pretty much how I see it too. I
            have, in the past, noticed where his cited footnote source does
            not square with the text itself. To me that is sloppy authorship
            and research.

            That is not to say that perhaps Lee might have ridden up to Cooke
            and made the comment, but I highly suspect Lee would have
            galloped up! First of all, for that early in his tenure as
            commanding general of the ANVa, I do not think that was his
            style. For Longstreet, I could see it but not, IMHO, Lee.

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
              Confusing narrative... That could be a valid comment on most of
              what Priest writes......

              > When I write, I like to take note of such inconsistencies,
              > either in a
              > footnote or in the text itself. I might still use the quote,
              > but with a caveat.
              >
              > It also gives you the chance to check on the historical
              > accuracy of the
              > original observer - could he see what he said he saw?
              >
              > That's the historian's job, to sort out the wheat from the
              > chaff. I know I
              > can string together dozens of quotes from other battles that
              > directly
              > contradict each other - but that would make for a very
              > confusing narrative.
              >
              > Dave Powell
              >

              > In a message dated 1/9/2009 11:33:33 A.M. Central Standard
              > Time,
              > d.essig@... writes:
              >
              > While that might be the case, it could also be an exaggeration
              > written by the historical observer instead.
              >
              > I'm not big on Priest's books, but I wouldn't be too quick to
              > drop
              > this at his feet.
              >

              > **************New year...new news. Be the first to know what
              > is making
              > headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)

            • barringer63
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
                Gerry Mayers wrote:
                Based on what Harsh writes and as a result of his
                > research, I highly doubt Lee was in any shape to do any galloping
                > of any kind.

                FWIW, on October 2, 1862, Lee wrote a letter to Markie Williams in
                which he referred to his "accident." He told her that he still had to
                use a secretary to write his correspondence but otherwise was in good
                health.

                Regards,
                Teej
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
                  Dear Teej,

                  That letter is a good three weeks after Sharpsburg, at which
                  time, I would expect his wrists to have improved by then. IIRC it
                  took him almost two months before he could resume total use of
                  his hands without pain... that is from the time of the injury on
                  31 August.

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
                    The source of Priest's citation about Lee galloping up, apparently, is a letter from Bart Johnson writing on March 17, 1895 t oteh editor of Confederate Veteran. he says it is in the Lilley collection at the Washington County Library. I'll check it the nexttime I am there, but memory sources 32 years after the event set off my crap detector.