re Sorrel's wounding at Antietam and "Battery Longstreet"

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
      Gang,

      Was Moxley Sorrel's wounding at Sharpsburg, when he went to speak
      to the commander of the 27th ARK (IIRC) on Longstreet's behalf,
      "before" or "after" the Battery Longstreet incident?

      BTW Priest seems to indicate in his Antietam book that Longstreet
      and some of the staff also supported Cooke's attack against the
      right flank of the Federal assault on the Sunken Road later in
      the action, and then the famed "Battery Longstreet" incident
      occurred afterwards? I do not have Priest's book handy here but
      if someone needs the page reference, I could probably find it.

      Thanks!

    • Dean Essig
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009

        Battery Longstreet happened after the Sunken Road was taken, and well
        after Cooke's Charge.

        Assuming, Moxley say Cooke (27 NC) before the charge, then that
        occurred before the battery business.

        Dean

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
          Dean,

          Thanks! I knew Battery Longstreet was after the Federals cracked
          through the Sunken Road, but was trying to figure out the Cooke
          counter attack timing.

          If you have Priest's Antietam book, if you look on page 198,
          which sparked my question. Also, I think there is a most glaring
          error there as well re General Lee. From everything I have read,
          Lee could barely ride Traveller, let alone gallop with him....

          > Battery Longstreet happened after the Sunken Road was taken,
          > and well
          > after Cooke's Charge.
          >
          > Assuming, Moxley say Cooke (27 NC) before the charge, then that
          > occurred before the battery business.
          >
          > Dean
          >
          > On Jan 9, 2009, at 10:57 AM, G E Mayers wrote:
          >
          >> Gang,
          >>
          >> Was Moxley Sorrel's wounding at Sharpsburg, when he went to
          >> speak
          >> to the commander of the 27th ARK (IIRC) on Longstreet's
          >> behalf,
          >> "before" or "after" the Battery Longstreet incident?
          >>
          >> BTW Priest seems to indicate in his Antietam book that
          >> Longstreet
          >> and some of the staff also supported Cooke's attack against
          >> the
          >> right flank of the Federal assault on the Sunken Road later in
          >> the action, and then the famed "Battery Longstreet" incident
          >> occurred afterwards? I do not have Priest's book handy here
          >> but
          >> if someone needs the page reference, I could probably find it.
          >>
          >> Thanks!
          >>
          >> Yr. Obt. Svt.
          >> G E "Gerry" Mayers

          >> even
          >> from
          >> the Almighty God. --Anonymous

        • Dean Essig
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009

            On Jan 9, 2009, at 11:20 AM, G E Mayers wrote:

            > Thanks! I knew Battery Longstreet was after the Federals cracked
            > through the Sunken Road, but was trying to figure out the Cooke
            > counter attack timing.

            FWIW, the charge shows up on the 12 noon Carmen-Cope map (supported
            on it's right flank by what's left of Cobb's Bde, I did not know that).

            > If you have Priest's Antietam book, if you look on page 198,
            > which sparked my question. Also, I think there is a most glaring
            > error there as well re General Lee. From everything I have read,
            > Lee could barely ride Traveller, let alone gallop with him....

            Interesting... what's the source for the "galloped up in spite of his
            hands" comment?

            Dean

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
              Dean,

              The galloped up comment...hmm... I wonder where he got that? I do
              know that the morning of September 16 was possibly the earliest
              Lee could return to Traveller's back. He is seen as being on
              horse on the morning of September 17th but being led by an
              orderly. Joe Harsh pretty convincingly lays out, IMHO, Lee's
              continued lack of mobility even with being able to somewhat ride
              his horse. Based on what Harsh writes and as a result of his
              research, I highly doubt Lee was in any shape to do any galloping
              of any kind.

              So could this be another glaring error by Priest?

              > On Jan 9, 2009, at 11:20 AM, G E Mayers wrote:
              >
              >> Thanks! I knew Battery Longstreet was after the Federals
              >> cracked
              >> through the Sunken Road, but was trying to figure out the
              >> Cooke
              >> counter attack timing.
              >
              > FWIW, the charge shows up on the 12 noon Carmen-Cope map
              > (supported
              > on it's right flank by what's left of Cobb's Bde, I did not
              > know that).
              >

              >> If you have Priest's Antietam book, if you look on page 198,
              >> which sparked my question. Also, I think there is a most
              >> glaring
              >> error there as well re General Lee. From everything I have
              >> read,
              >> Lee could barely ride Traveller, let alone gallop with him....
              >
              > Interesting... what's the source for the "galloped up in spite
              > of his
              > hands" comment?
              >
              > Dean

            • Dean Essig
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
                On Jan 9, 2009, at 11:30 AM, G E Mayers wrote:

                > So could this be another glaring error by Priest?

                While that might be the case, it could also be an exaggeration
                written by the historical observer instead.

                I'm not big on Priest's books, but I wouldn't be too quick to drop
                this at his feet.

              • DPowell334@AOL.COM
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
                  I'd like to see the original cite - IMO Priest will use anecdotes if they
                  sound good without checking to see how they make sense with the larger picture.

                  will have to check when I get home...

                  Dave Powell

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
                    When I write, I like to take note of such inconsistencies, either in a
                    footnote or in the text itself. I might still use the quote, but with a caveat.

                    It also gives you the chance to check on the historical accuracy of the
                    original observer - could he see what he said he saw?

                    That's the historian's job, to sort out the wheat from the chaff. I know I
                    can string together dozens of quotes from other battles that directly
                    contradict each other - but that would make for a very confusing narrative.

                    Dave Powell

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
                      Dear Dave;

                      What you cite about Priest is pretty much how I see it too. I
                      have, in the past, noticed where his cited footnote source does
                      not square with the text itself. To me that is sloppy authorship
                      and research.

                      That is not to say that perhaps Lee might have ridden up to Cooke
                      and made the comment, but I highly suspect Lee would have
                      galloped up! First of all, for that early in his tenure as
                      commanding general of the ANVa, I do not think that was his
                      style. For Longstreet, I could see it but not, IMHO, Lee.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
                        Confusing narrative... That could be a valid comment on most of
                        what Priest writes......

                        > When I write, I like to take note of such inconsistencies,
                        > either in a
                        > footnote or in the text itself. I might still use the quote,
                        > but with a caveat.
                        >
                        > It also gives you the chance to check on the historical
                        > accuracy of the
                        > original observer - could he see what he said he saw?
                        >
                        > That's the historian's job, to sort out the wheat from the
                        > chaff. I know I
                        > can string together dozens of quotes from other battles that
                        > directly
                        > contradict each other - but that would make for a very
                        > confusing narrative.
                        >
                        > Dave Powell
                        >

                        > In a message dated 1/9/2009 11:33:33 A.M. Central Standard
                        > Time,
                        > d.essig@... writes:
                        >
                        > While that might be the case, it could also be an exaggeration
                        > written by the historical observer instead.
                        >
                        > I'm not big on Priest's books, but I wouldn't be too quick to
                        > drop
                        > this at his feet.
                        >

                        > **************New year...new news. Be the first to know what
                        > is making
                        > headlines. (http://www.aol.com/?ncid=emlcntaolcom00000026)

                      • barringer63
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
                          Gerry Mayers wrote:
                          Based on what Harsh writes and as a result of his
                          > research, I highly doubt Lee was in any shape to do any galloping
                          > of any kind.

                          FWIW, on October 2, 1862, Lee wrote a letter to Markie Williams in
                          which he referred to his "accident." He told her that he still had to
                          use a secretary to write his correspondence but otherwise was in good
                          health.

                          Regards,
                          Teej
                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
                            Dear Teej,

                            That letter is a good three weeks after Sharpsburg, at which
                            time, I would expect his wrists to have improved by then. IIRC it
                            took him almost two months before he could resume total use of
                            his hands without pain... that is from the time of the injury on
                            31 August.

                            Message 13 of 13 , Jan 9, 2009
                              The source of Priest's citation about Lee galloping up, apparently, is a letter from Bart Johnson writing on March 17, 1895 t oteh editor of Confederate Veteran. he says it is in the Lilley collection at the Washington County Library. I'll check it the nexttime I am there, but memory sources 32 years after the event set off my crap detector.