RE: [TalkAntietam] Brevet Brigadier General Hoffman - mystery solved!

  • bdowney@aotw.org
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
      Thanks Paula,

      I'm still a skeptic, though.

      There are lots of references from his lifetime readily available, some
      written by the General himself, and every one I've seen spelled it
      HOFMANN. His monograph on Gettysburg and his address at the dedication a
      Reynolds painting (1880), an 1861 recruiting notice, the transcriptions
      of his reports in the ORs, his letter to the editor of the National
      Tribune and his own "Military Record" (1884), for example. Not to
      mention all the references to and by him in the ORs, Bates' notes, his
      listing as a Mason, the MOLLUS Commandery, his NY Times death notice,
      etc.

      The weight of all these documents - especially those written by him -
      suggest there might be another explanation for the one document "in his
      own hand" that Mr Waskie found. I don't see them all coming from a
      single misguided/misspelled source, do you?

      I'm not certain either way, but I like the HOFMANN spelling. I'll note
      the alternative chosen for his grave and the reason on his AotW bio.