Re: [TalkAntietam] Brevet Brigadier General Hoffman - mystery solved!

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
      Trouble maker!

      :-)

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
        Dear Dean,

        Just a simple fact of life... while they are more often correct,
        there have been mis spellings of names on birth certificates.
        When you add to that the tendency, due to similarities between
        how some letters were capitalized in cursive, it could be easy to
        confuse an "F', for example, for a "T".

        > On Jan 4, 2009, at 2:28 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
        >
        >> And birth certificates are known to be wrong on occasion!

      • RoteBaron
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
          Most excellent work, Paula!

          With so many variances in the spelling (my uncle in Bavaria spells his name Hoffmann),
          I'll go with Andy's reference to the signature: HOFFMAN

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
            Thanks Paula,

            I'm still a skeptic, though.

            There are lots of references from his lifetime readily available, some
            written by the General himself, and every one I've seen spelled it
            HOFMANN. His monograph on Gettysburg and his address at the dedication a
            Reynolds painting (1880), an 1861 recruiting notice, the transcriptions
            of his reports in the ORs, his letter to the editor of the National
            Tribune and his own "Military Record" (1884), for example. Not to
            mention all the references to and by him in the ORs, Bates' notes, his
            listing as a Mason, the MOLLUS Commandery, his NY Times death notice,
            etc.

            The weight of all these documents - especially those written by him -
            suggest there might be another explanation for the one document "in his
            own hand" that Mr Waskie found. I don't see them all coming from a
            single misguided/misspelled source, do you?

            I'm not certain either way, but I like the HOFMANN spelling. I'll note
            the alternative chosen for his grave and the reason on his AotW bio.