Re: [TalkAntietam] Brevet Brigadier General Hoffman - mystery solved!

    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
      Dear Dean,

      And birth certificates are known to be wrong on occasion!

      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
        Trouble maker!

        :-)

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
          Dear Dean,

          Just a simple fact of life... while they are more often correct,
          there have been mis spellings of names on birth certificates.
          When you add to that the tendency, due to similarities between
          how some letters were capitalized in cursive, it could be easy to
          confuse an "F', for example, for a "T".

          > On Jan 4, 2009, at 2:28 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
          >
          >> And birth certificates are known to be wrong on occasion!

        • RoteBaron
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
            Most excellent work, Paula!

            With so many variances in the spelling (my uncle in Bavaria spells his name Hoffmann),
            I'll go with Andy's reference to the signature: HOFFMAN

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
              Thanks Paula,

              I'm still a skeptic, though.

              There are lots of references from his lifetime readily available, some
              written by the General himself, and every one I've seen spelled it
              HOFMANN. His monograph on Gettysburg and his address at the dedication a
              Reynolds painting (1880), an 1861 recruiting notice, the transcriptions
              of his reports in the ORs, his letter to the editor of the National
              Tribune and his own "Military Record" (1884), for example. Not to
              mention all the references to and by him in the ORs, Bates' notes, his
              listing as a Mason, the MOLLUS Commandery, his NY Times death notice,
              etc.

              The weight of all these documents - especially those written by him -
              suggest there might be another explanation for the one document "in his
              own hand" that Mr Waskie found. I don't see them all coming from a
              single misguided/misspelled source, do you?

              I'm not certain either way, but I like the HOFMANN spelling. I'll note
              the alternative chosen for his grave and the reason on his AotW bio.