Brevet Brigadier General Hoffman - mystery solved!

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
      Hello all!  I contacted Andy Waskie who was involved in getting the new marker for Gen Hoffman:  Here is what he wrote me back.

      Re: Bvt. Brig. Gen J. William Hoffman
      Yes, I was the one who obtained his grave marker and we
      placed it and dedicated ca. 10 years ago, as were many other
      grave similarly marked over the years.
      I checked his application to the MEADE Post #1, GAR signed
      in his own hand and he spelled his name:
      J.W. Hoffman.
      Next time you come to the museum, I will show you the form.
      Andy

      So, it appears that the General signed his name with two f's.

      Paula

    • Dean Essig
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
        Excellent work, Paula!

        Unless the General couldn't spell his last name (and even if that
        were the case, I'd go with his personal spelling if known), I think
        that is as definitive as we can get this side of a birth certificate.

        Thank you!

        Dean

        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
          Dear Dean,

          And birth certificates are known to be wrong on occasion!

          > Unless the General couldn't spell his last name (and even if
          > that
          > were the case, I'd go with his personal spelling if known), I
          > think
          > that is as definitive as we can get this side of a birth
          > certificate.
          >
          > Thank you!
          >
          > Dean
          >
          > On Jan 4, 2009, at 11:42 AM, 128thpa@... wrote:
          >

          >> Hello all! I contacted Andy Waskie who was involved in
          >> getting the
          >> new marker for Gen Hoffman: Here is what he wrote me back.
          >>
          >> Re: Bvt. Brig. Gen J. William Hoffman
          >> Yes, I was the one who obtained his grave marker and we
          >> placed it and dedicated ca. 10 years ago, as were many other
          >> grave similarly marked over the years.
          >> I checked his application to the MEADE Post #1, GAR signed
          >> in his own hand and he spelled his name:
          >> J.W. Hoffman.
          >> Next time you come to the museum, I will show you the form.
          >> Andy
          >>
          >> So, it appears that the General signed his name with two f's.
          >>
          >> Paula

        • Dean Essig
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
            Trouble maker!

            :-)

            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
              Dear Dean,

              Just a simple fact of life... while they are more often correct,
              there have been mis spellings of names on birth certificates.
              When you add to that the tendency, due to similarities between
              how some letters were capitalized in cursive, it could be easy to
              confuse an "F', for example, for a "T".

              > On Jan 4, 2009, at 2:28 PM, G E Mayers wrote:
              >
              >> And birth certificates are known to be wrong on occasion!

            • RoteBaron
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
                Most excellent work, Paula!

                With so many variances in the spelling (my uncle in Bavaria spells his name Hoffmann),
                I'll go with Andy's reference to the signature: HOFFMAN

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 4, 2009
                  Thanks Paula,

                  I'm still a skeptic, though.

                  There are lots of references from his lifetime readily available, some
                  written by the General himself, and every one I've seen spelled it
                  HOFMANN. His monograph on Gettysburg and his address at the dedication a
                  Reynolds painting (1880), an 1861 recruiting notice, the transcriptions
                  of his reports in the ORs, his letter to the editor of the National
                  Tribune and his own "Military Record" (1884), for example. Not to
                  mention all the references to and by him in the ORs, Bates' notes, his
                  listing as a Mason, the MOLLUS Commandery, his NY Times death notice,
                  etc.

                  The weight of all these documents - especially those written by him -
                  suggest there might be another explanation for the one document "in his
                  own hand" that Mr Waskie found. I don't see them all coming from a
                  single misguided/misspelled source, do you?

                  I'm not certain either way, but I like the HOFMANN spelling. I'll note
                  the alternative chosen for his grave and the reason on his AotW bio.