Re: [TalkAntietam] Nicodemus Hill artillery question

  • Tom Clemens
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2002
      Scott,
      Pelham's guns moved by 6:30, before Mansfield attacked. They didn't move
      far, across the gully to Hauser's ridge forthe most part.
      Tom Clemens

      scottmingus wrote:

      > I'm sorry if this question has already been covered by this group.
      > When did Pelham's guns retire from Nicodemus Hill? Was this prior to,
      > during, or after Mansfield's attack? I've read some conflicting
      > accounts, and I'd like to hear from this group.
      >
      > Scott Mingus

    • John Furey
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 22, 2002
        Hi Scott
        Sometime ago we had this discussion. I still have a lot of questions about
        the artillery support for Hood at the time of his attack. Tom Clemens is the
        person I would listen to. I think he puts the artillery movement at 6:30 on
        the hill. Talk to Tom, he knows his stuff.
        John

        scottmingus wrote:

        > I'm sorry if this question has already been covered by this group.
        > When did Pelham's guns retire from Nicodemus Hill? Was this prior to,
        > during, or after Mansfield's attack? I've read some conflicting
        > accounts, and I'd like to hear from this group.
        >
        > Scott Mingus

      • John Furey
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2002
          Sottt
          I just got back from N.Y. When I have time I will share some stuff with you -
          concerning artillery support, period 6:30 to 7:30 re: Hood,s attack,
          best,
          John

          scottmingus wrote:

          > I'm sorry if this question has already been covered by this group.
          > When did Pelham's guns retire from Nicodemus Hill? Was this prior to,
          > during, or after Mansfield's attack? I've read some conflicting
          > accounts, and I'd like to hear from this group.
          >
          > Scott Mingus

        • John Furey
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22, 2002
            Hi again Scott
            I forgot, but it seems George Otott has joined this group. In Civil War
            Regiments (Vol.5, #3 1997) he wrote what I consider the best piece of work
            written to date on the 1st Texas and their attack through the Cornfield. I
            think it is a masterpiece of research. This will help you.
            Also you might want to contact Peggy Fox at the Harold B, Simpson Reseach
            Center at Hill College in Hillsboro, Texas. I was out theit again last summer
            and they will help you with anything you ask. Great people.
            John