re Sharpsburg question

    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 3, 2009
      To our esteemed members:

      While reading the relevant chapters in John Michael Priest's book
      Antietam: The Soldiers' Battle (Oxford University Press paperback
      edition, 1993, New York) dealing with the savage and bloody
      fighting in the Sunken Road at Sharpsburg, I came across the
      following extremely interesting information (Chapter Twelve, page
      207):

      "Lieutenant Colonel Nelson Miles (64th/61st NY) sent Sergeant
      Charles Fuller (C Co.) with Porter A. Whitney (C Co.) and George
      Jacobs (C Co.) halfway into the trampled corn to scout what the
      Confederates were doing. The three men took cover behind some
      cornstalks, which they stood up to shield them from view. They
      observed several mounted Confederate officers off to their right
      front. After debating whether to pick them off or not, Fuller
      detached one of the men back to the regiment, who presently
      returned to order Fuller and the remain solider to retire. Their
      reticence to shoot down the officers probably saved James
      Longstreet's life." (Note: My underlining)

      Questions arise here:

      1. Does anyone have access to Charles Augustus Fuller's memoir
      Personal Recollections of the War of 1861 to be able to check
      this story?

      (I ask because J M Priest is not always the most accurate with
      his writing about the entire Maryland Campaign; this is a
      different topic for discussion and, while it does impact somewhat
      on the question at hand, I am more interested in Fuller's actual
      account.

      2. Did Longstreet ever learn, later on, about this incident at
      Sharpsburg?

      3. Does anyone know of an account which mentions such a gathering
      of mounted Confederate officers in the area of the Piper Farm and
      Piper Farm Cornfield and who the officers involved in such a
      meeting might have been?

      Thank y'all for your help!

    • Dave
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2009
        Gerry, Fuller's book is not available at Google books, but is cheap
        enough at Abebooks 9-10 bucks. Might be worth picking up.

        http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?tn=Personal+Recollections+War+1861

        Dave McGowan