Re: [TalkAntietam] My new favorite place

  • Dean Essig
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
      A cool walk is to go to the Park Farm and then head due West...
      you'll climb a hill and you are right on top of the hill adjacent to
      the observation tower at he end of the Sunken Road.

      The distance is impressively small.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
        Stephen,

        Where does that new trail start? Where does it go to? Etc?

        >I popped down to the battlefield this morning and Ranger Keith
        >Snyder
        > suggested that I take the new Three Farms Trail. It was
        > unbelievable! I
        > did not even know the Parks Farm was there. I now have a new
        > favorite
        > place.
        >
        > Stephen Recker

      • RoteBaron
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
          Stephen,

          Several years ago, I had posted photos from a hike to Park Farm. URL is:
          http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/antietam_2005_05_01/report_page6.htm

          When we arrived onto the farmstead's grounds, I was amazed to discover such an assortment of buildings that I had never seen before.

          Didn't the farm sustain damage from high winds this summer? Are the barn and other out-buildings still standing?

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
            Yes, still standing, and looking much like they do in your photos. The west end of the barn was damaged by the winds, and has been repaired. It is, as Dean suggests, amazingly close to the tower at Bloody Lane, but not visible from it.