Re: Brevet Brigadier General Hoffman

  • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
      Posted by: "Harry Smeltzer"
      Fri Jan 2, 2009 7:49 pm (PST)

      . . . As a matter of fact, Irvin McDowell's name is misspelled on his tombstone at the Presidio. They spell his first name Irwin . . .

      Harry,

      Pauline Cushman is buried in the same section (Officer's Circle) as McDowell in the National Cemetery. She was never officially commissioned as an officer, even though she thought Lincoln and Garfield had done so.

      Bill Christen
      gwjchris@...

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
        I popped down to the battlefield this morning and Ranger Keith Snyder
        suggested that I take the new Three Farms Trail. It was unbelievable! I
        did not even know the Parks Farm was there. I now have a new favorite
        place.

        Stephen Recker
      • Dean Essig
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
          A cool walk is to go to the Park Farm and then head due West...
          you'll climb a hill and you are right on top of the hill adjacent to
          the observation tower at he end of the Sunken Road.

          The distance is impressively small.

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
            Stephen,

            Where does that new trail start? Where does it go to? Etc?

            >I popped down to the battlefield this morning and Ranger Keith
            >Snyder
            > suggested that I take the new Three Farms Trail. It was
            > unbelievable! I
            > did not even know the Parks Farm was there. I now have a new
            > favorite
            > place.
            >
            > Stephen Recker

          • RoteBaron
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
              Stephen,

              Several years ago, I had posted photos from a hike to Park Farm. URL is:
              http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/antietam_2005_05_01/report_page6.htm

              When we arrived onto the farmstead's grounds, I was amazed to discover such an assortment of buildings that I had never seen before.

              Didn't the farm sustain damage from high winds this summer? Are the barn and other out-buildings still standing?

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
                Yes, still standing, and looking much like they do in your photos. The west end of the barn was damaged by the winds, and has been repaired. It is, as Dean suggests, amazingly close to the tower at Bloody Lane, but not visible from it.