Re: [TalkAntietam] Brevet Brigadier General Hoffman

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
      Paula,

      You're right. As a matter of fact, Irvin McDowell's name is misspelled on his tombstone at the Presidio. They spell his first name Irwin. I'm reading a book now (The Last Lincolns) that refers to one of James Garfield's son, named for McDowell, as Irwin, too. Talk about no respect!

      Harry
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
        Harry, I have been to McDowell's grave and someone had pointed out to me prior to going that his name was mispelled.

        The problem is once a mistake is made and then repeated, it is hard to correct it.  Everyone assumes the mistake is correct, because it ends up in a variety of references.

        Paula

      • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
          Posted by: "Harry Smeltzer"
          Fri Jan 2, 2009 7:49 pm (PST)

          . . . As a matter of fact, Irvin McDowell's name is misspelled on his tombstone at the Presidio. They spell his first name Irwin . . .

          Harry,

          Pauline Cushman is buried in the same section (Officer's Circle) as McDowell in the National Cemetery. She was never officially commissioned as an officer, even though she thought Lincoln and Garfield had done so.

          Bill Christen
          gwjchris@...

          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
            I popped down to the battlefield this morning and Ranger Keith Snyder
            suggested that I take the new Three Farms Trail. It was unbelievable! I
            did not even know the Parks Farm was there. I now have a new favorite
            place.

            Stephen Recker
          • Dean Essig
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
              A cool walk is to go to the Park Farm and then head due West...
              you'll climb a hill and you are right on top of the hill adjacent to
              the observation tower at he end of the Sunken Road.

              The distance is impressively small.

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
                Stephen,

                Where does that new trail start? Where does it go to? Etc?

                >I popped down to the battlefield this morning and Ranger Keith
                >Snyder
                > suggested that I take the new Three Farms Trail. It was
                > unbelievable! I
                > did not even know the Parks Farm was there. I now have a new
                > favorite
                > place.
                >
                > Stephen Recker

              • RoteBaron
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
                  Stephen,

                  Several years ago, I had posted photos from a hike to Park Farm. URL is:
                  http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/antietam_2005_05_01/report_page6.htm

                  When we arrived onto the farmstead's grounds, I was amazed to discover such an assortment of buildings that I had never seen before.

                  Didn't the farm sustain damage from high winds this summer? Are the barn and other out-buildings still standing?

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
                    Yes, still standing, and looking much like they do in your photos. The west end of the barn was damaged by the winds, and has been repaired. It is, as Dean suggests, amazingly close to the tower at Bloody Lane, but not visible from it.