Brevet Brigadier General Hoffman

  • 128thpa@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
      I wish I knew sooner that he was buried in Laurel Hill, I was there on Dec 31st to celebrate Gen. Meade's birthday along with the Meade Society.  I believe that headstone was placed a couple of years ago.  I will ask around.

      It could be that no one knows for sure how his name is spelt.  And you can't trust info on headstones - even if placed at the time of death.  I have been researching for years the actual birth year of Galusha Pennypacker.  His tombstone states he was born in 1844, due to a lot of research by others and myself, we are 100% that is is NOT 1844, but that error on his tombstone has been perpetuated over and over.  Was Galusha one of the youngest Union Generals, definitely yes, but was he as young as stated in various resources, no.

      Paula

    • Harry Smeltzer
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
        Paula,

        You're right. As a matter of fact, Irvin McDowell's name is misspelled on his tombstone at the Presidio. They spell his first name Irwin. I'm reading a book now (The Last Lincolns) that refers to one of James Garfield's son, named for McDowell, as Irwin, too. Talk about no respect!

        Harry

        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
          Harry, I have been to McDowell's grave and someone had pointed out to me prior to going that his name was mispelled.

          The problem is once a mistake is made and then repeated, it is hard to correct it.  Everyone assumes the mistake is correct, because it ends up in a variety of references.

          Paula

        • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
            Posted by: "Harry Smeltzer"
            Fri Jan 2, 2009 7:49 pm (PST)

            . . . As a matter of fact, Irvin McDowell's name is misspelled on his tombstone at the Presidio. They spell his first name Irwin . . .

            Harry,

            Pauline Cushman is buried in the same section (Officer's Circle) as McDowell in the National Cemetery. She was never officially commissioned as an officer, even though she thought Lincoln and Garfield had done so.

            Bill Christen
            gwjchris@...

            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
              I popped down to the battlefield this morning and Ranger Keith Snyder
              suggested that I take the new Three Farms Trail. It was unbelievable! I
              did not even know the Parks Farm was there. I now have a new favorite
              place.

              Stephen Recker
            • Dean Essig
              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
                A cool walk is to go to the Park Farm and then head due West...
                you'll climb a hill and you are right on top of the hill adjacent to
                the observation tower at he end of the Sunken Road.

                The distance is impressively small.

                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
                  Stephen,

                  Where does that new trail start? Where does it go to? Etc?

                  >I popped down to the battlefield this morning and Ranger Keith
                  >Snyder
                  > suggested that I take the new Three Farms Trail. It was
                  > unbelievable! I
                  > did not even know the Parks Farm was there. I now have a new
                  > favorite
                  > place.
                  >
                  > Stephen Recker

                • RoteBaron
                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
                    Stephen,

                    Several years ago, I had posted photos from a hike to Park Farm. URL is:
                    http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/antietam_2005_05_01/report_page6.htm

                    When we arrived onto the farmstead's grounds, I was amazed to discover such an assortment of buildings that I had never seen before.

                    Didn't the farm sustain damage from high winds this summer? Are the barn and other out-buildings still standing?

                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
                      Yes, still standing, and looking much like they do in your photos. The west end of the barn was damaged by the winds, and has been repaired. It is, as Dean suggests, amazingly close to the tower at Bloody Lane, but not visible from it.