Nicodemus Hill artillery question

  • scottmingus
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 20, 2002
      I'm sorry if this question has already been covered by this group.
      When did Pelham's guns retire from Nicodemus Hill? Was this prior to,
      during, or after Mansfield's attack? I've read some conflicting
      accounts, and I'd like to hear from this group.

      Scott Mingus
    • Tom Clemens
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 20, 2002
        Scott,
        Pelham's guns moved by 6:30, before Mansfield attacked. They didn't move
        far, across the gully to Hauser's ridge forthe most part.
        Tom Clemens

        scottmingus wrote:

        > I'm sorry if this question has already been covered by this group.
        > When did Pelham's guns retire from Nicodemus Hill? Was this prior to,
        > during, or after Mansfield's attack? I've read some conflicting
        > accounts, and I'd like to hear from this group.
        >
        > Scott Mingus

      • John Furey
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 22, 2002
          Hi Scott
          Sometime ago we had this discussion. I still have a lot of questions about
          the artillery support for Hood at the time of his attack. Tom Clemens is the
          person I would listen to. I think he puts the artillery movement at 6:30 on
          the hill. Talk to Tom, he knows his stuff.
          John

          scottmingus wrote:

          > I'm sorry if this question has already been covered by this group.
          > When did Pelham's guns retire from Nicodemus Hill? Was this prior to,
          > during, or after Mansfield's attack? I've read some conflicting
          > accounts, and I'd like to hear from this group.
          >
          > Scott Mingus

        • John Furey
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 22, 2002
            Sottt
            I just got back from N.Y. When I have time I will share some stuff with you -
            concerning artillery support, period 6:30 to 7:30 re: Hood,s attack,
            best,
            John

            scottmingus wrote:

            > I'm sorry if this question has already been covered by this group.
            > When did Pelham's guns retire from Nicodemus Hill? Was this prior to,
            > during, or after Mansfield's attack? I've read some conflicting
            > accounts, and I'd like to hear from this group.
            >
            > Scott Mingus

          • John Furey
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 22, 2002
              Hi again Scott
              I forgot, but it seems George Otott has joined this group. In Civil War
              Regiments (Vol.5, #3 1997) he wrote what I consider the best piece of work
              written to date on the 1st Texas and their attack through the Cornfield. I
              think it is a masterpiece of research. This will help you.
              Also you might want to contact Peggy Fox at the Harold B, Simpson Reseach
              Center at Hill College in Hillsboro, Texas. I was out theit again last summer
              and they will help you with anything you ask. Great people.
              John