Re: [TalkAntietam] Brevet Brigadier General Hoffman

    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009

      There is a photo of him in this weblink page:

      http://www.generalsandbrevets.com/bh/bh6.htm

      Kerry Webb spelled his surname with the two nn's.

      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
        It is spelled Hofmann on all four Antietam war department tablets that
        bear his name. There used to be a marker at the corner of Rt. 65 and
        Mansfield Avenue that had his name as Hoffmann, but this is from a
        transcription and could be incorrect.

        Stephen Recker

        On Friday, January 2, 2009, at 02:36 PM, RoteBaron@... wrote:

        > One Antietam-related name that often varies in the spelling is J.
        > William Hoffman (Brevet Brigadier General). His tombstone has
        > "Hoffman", yet I see it often spelled Hofmann, Hoffmann, etc.
        > John Hoptak has a bio on Hoffman, which includes photo of the
        > tombstone:
        > http://48thpennsylvania.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2008-07-
        > 23T13%3A14%3A00-04%3A00&max-results=50
        >
        > In reading Dean Essig's documentation for his upcoming Antietam gam, I
        > noted he uses "Hofmann".
        > Tom Shay
      • Harry Smeltzer
        Message 3 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
          His modern flat marker in Laurel Hill cemetery says Hoffman, but the entry in Findagrave, where I saw the photo, says Hofmann. Hunt's book spells it Hofmann, and also says his grave is unmarked, so I'm guessing it's a new headstone.

        • 128thpa@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
            I wish I knew sooner that he was buried in Laurel Hill, I was there on Dec 31st to celebrate Gen. Meade's birthday along with the Meade Society.  I believe that headstone was placed a couple of years ago.  I will ask around.

            It could be that no one knows for sure how his name is spelt.  And you can't trust info on headstones - even if placed at the time of death.  I have been researching for years the actual birth year of Galusha Pennypacker.  His tombstone states he was born in 1844, due to a lot of research by others and myself, we are 100% that is is NOT 1844, but that error on his tombstone has been perpetuated over and over.  Was Galusha one of the youngest Union Generals, definitely yes, but was he as young as stated in various resources, no.

            Paula

          • Harry Smeltzer
            Message 5 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
              Paula,

              You're right. As a matter of fact, Irvin McDowell's name is misspelled on his tombstone at the Presidio. They spell his first name Irwin. I'm reading a book now (The Last Lincolns) that refers to one of James Garfield's son, named for McDowell, as Irwin, too. Talk about no respect!

              Harry

              Message 6 of 13 , Jan 2, 2009
                Harry, I have been to McDowell's grave and someone had pointed out to me prior to going that his name was mispelled.

                The problem is once a mistake is made and then repeated, it is hard to correct it.  Everyone assumes the mistake is correct, because it ends up in a variety of references.

                Paula

              • Bill and Glenna Jo Christen
                Message 7 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
                  Posted by: "Harry Smeltzer"
                  Fri Jan 2, 2009 7:49 pm (PST)

                  . . . As a matter of fact, Irvin McDowell's name is misspelled on his tombstone at the Presidio. They spell his first name Irwin . . .

                  Harry,

                  Pauline Cushman is buried in the same section (Officer's Circle) as McDowell in the National Cemetery. She was never officially commissioned as an officer, even though she thought Lincoln and Garfield had done so.

                  Bill Christen
                  gwjchris@...

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
                    I popped down to the battlefield this morning and Ranger Keith Snyder
                    suggested that I take the new Three Farms Trail. It was unbelievable! I
                    did not even know the Parks Farm was there. I now have a new favorite
                    place.

                    Stephen Recker
                  • Dean Essig
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
                      A cool walk is to go to the Park Farm and then head due West...
                      you'll climb a hill and you are right on top of the hill adjacent to
                      the observation tower at he end of the Sunken Road.

                      The distance is impressively small.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
                        Stephen,

                        Where does that new trail start? Where does it go to? Etc?

                        >I popped down to the battlefield this morning and Ranger Keith
                        >Snyder
                        > suggested that I take the new Three Farms Trail. It was
                        > unbelievable! I
                        > did not even know the Parks Farm was there. I now have a new
                        > favorite
                        > place.
                        >
                        > Stephen Recker

                      • RoteBaron
                        Message 11 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
                          Stephen,

                          Several years ago, I had posted photos from a hike to Park Farm. URL is:
                          http://home.comcast.net/~schuylkillcwrt/antietam_2005_05_01/report_page6.htm

                          When we arrived onto the farmstead's grounds, I was amazed to discover such an assortment of buildings that I had never seen before.

                          Didn't the farm sustain damage from high winds this summer? Are the barn and other out-buildings still standing?

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jan 3, 2009
                            Yes, still standing, and looking much like they do in your photos. The west end of the barn was damaged by the winds, and has been repaired. It is, as Dean suggests, amazingly close to the tower at Bloody Lane, but not visible from it.