Re: Union Soldier's Remains Found at Antietam

  • thirdpaclugh
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 30, 2008
      --- In TalkAntietam@yahoogroups.com, <richard@...> wrote:

      > Wonderful! I hope there's more of that story to come!!!

      off the Corn Field Trail and saw some bones on the ground that he
      later left at the visitors' center. He didn't give his name, saying
      only he had found something in a field off the trail, next to an
      animal hole.

      > "It was a jaw bone with four teeth attached and one loose plus
      some other fragments," said Ed Wenschhof Jr., Antietam's chief of
      Natural Resources Management and Resources Protection. "We get a lot
      of these bones brought in here, almost all of them are animal."

      > He needed to check it out. Several protographs were emailed to the
      National Park Service's regional archaeologist, Stephen Potter, in
      Washington. Potter said he knew right away the jaw, and what turned
      out to be skull fragments, belonged to a human. And he knew they were
      very old bones.

      > "When I realized what I had -- an unmarked, unknown burial of a
      Civil War soldier, not a victim of modern mayhem -- it grabbed me in
      the gut," he said. ""I was totally focused. i forgot everything else.
      I immediatley started planning what we would do next."

      > He said he estimated the soldier's age at 19 to 21, based on an
      impacted wisdom tooth in the jaw bone, the lack of wear on the teeth
      and an open suture in the cranium. That suture closes only when an
      individual ceases to grow.

      > He called Wenschhof. Potter wanted to see the bones but his first
      impulse was to collect whatever else was out there in the field. It
      was going to be difficult to find the spot. The field covered acres of
      land, but they had to move quickly because relic hunters might hear
      about the discovery and disturb the grave.

      > Wenschhof and a team of park rangers crisscrossed the field that
      was adjacent to the infamous Corn Field, where brutal hand-to-hand
      fighting had taken place during the battle. There were burrows
      everywhere, and they had to be careful not to step in to them.
      Finally, one of the team found bone fragments and several pieces of
      leather outside a ground hog hole. It had to be the right place. The
      soldier had been found.

      http://voices.washingtonpost.com/house-divided/2008/12/a_union_soldier_found_buried_a.html#more

      > Tom Shay

      This is amazing! I read the entire article on line and am surprised
      that nothing was ever mentioned in the Baltimore Sun, which is the
      paper I am forced to read. At least I never recall seeing or even
      hearing of the story mentioned in the local Baltimore news.

      With all the DNA and forensics available now, perhaps the identity can
      be determined at a later time. In the meanwhile, Rest In Peace Valiant
      Soldier!

      Dave Clugh