re Kathleen Ernst book, Too Afraid to Cry

    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 15, 2008
      All,

      I spent some time carefully re reading Ms Ernst's book Too Afraid
      to Cry recently.

      What really struck me this time around was the salient fact that,
      unlike most areas affected by the Civil War, the entire area of
      Frederick and Washington Counties was affected for pretty much
      the entire length of the war.

      Thoughts, comments?

    • jeffcowvplanning
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 16, 2008
        Gerry...

        That is my experience too, as I have been researching my Middletown
        project.

        The most amazing thing to me is actually the long term effect of the
        war in the decades following. Of the various periods I am breaking
        my book into (prewar to 1861, 1-8/1862, 9-12/1862, 1863, 1864, 1865,
        and 1866-mid 20th century), to me the last is the most fascinating.

        Some things I have found include:

        Locals getting killed by plowing up unexploded ordinance on their
        farms (as late as 1932), and local kids finding weapons discarded
        after the battles with equally tragic results,

        Veterans of the battles in the area returning and rekindling long
        dormant acquaintances,

        Locals being invited to veterans reunions in other regions as
        recognition of their aiding the soldiers of those units in the local
        hospitals...

        Middletown's very early Decoration Day observances (I believe the
        first was 1865). The local coverage of the reinterrment of the Union
        and Confederate dead from in and around Middletown to Antietam
        National and Washington Confederate Cemeteries....and the finding of
        missed remains when the cemetery site was excavated for a new school
        in the 1880s.

        And a turtle invited to a veterans' reunion. Yep. A turtle.

        As I wind down my research and am working on a manuscript, I am
        finding that I look forward to writing the post war chapter more than
        any other.

        I just need to set aside some time this winter to get the manuscript
        completed so I can start shopping the product.

        Steve Bockmiller
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 16, 2008
          Dear Steve,

          Research always is a killer (sometimes). Non fiction of
          historical topics can be easier to write than historical non
          fiction. (Been working on a historical fiction account of the
          1862 Maryland Campaign from the CS viewpoint for over a decade
          now. Making some decent progress now but it still is difficult to
          try to construct a steady, yet convincing, narrative and
          dialogue.)