Sharpsburg Enterprise

  • Adam Zimmerli
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 8, 2008
      Hello, all.

      It's been quite a while since I have posted on here, but I always enjoy
      reading everyone's comments and questions. I finally have a question of
      my own for the group, though!

      In Ernst's Too Afraid to Cry, she mentions the Sharpsburg Enterprise as
      a wartime newspaper in the town. I've since spoken to Kathleen about it,
      and she was unable to find where the Enterprise is kept, either in
      original form or on microfilm. I talked to Ted Alexander about it, and
      while he was able to furnish some photocopies of the Antietam Wavelet
      and the Antietam Valley Review, he didn't know where I could find the
      Enterprise. Anyone have any ideas? I wrote my MA on Antietam and the
      post-war commemoration (just won the best graduate thesis for the
      '07-'08 academic year, if I don't say so myself), but I never came
      across any other references or copies of that newspaper.

      Thanks for any help that may come.

      Adam Zimmerli

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 8, 2008
        Adam,

        Did you think to try the Washington County Public Library History
        Reading Room in Hagerstown, MD?

        > It's been quite a while since I have posted on here, but I
        > always enjoy
        > reading everyone's comments and questions. I finally have a
        > question of
        > my own for the group, though!
        >
        > In Ernst's Too Afraid to Cry, she mentions the Sharpsburg
        > Enterprise as
        > a wartime newspaper in the town. I've since spoken to Kathleen
        > about it,
        > and she was unable to find where the Enterprise is kept, either
        > in
        > original form or on microfilm. I talked to Ted Alexander about
        > it, and
        > while he was able to furnish some photocopies of the Antietam
        > Wavelet
        > and the Antietam Valley Review, he didn't know where I could
        > find the
        > Enterprise. Anyone have any ideas? I wrote my MA on Antietam
        > and the
        > post-war commemoration (just won the best graduate thesis for
        > the
        > '07-'08 academic year, if I don't say so myself), but I never
        > came
        > across any other references or copies of that newspaper.
        >
        > Thanks for any help that may come.
        >
        > Adam Zimmerli

      • Brian Downey
        Message 3 of 6 , Dec 8, 2008
          Hi Adam,

          A quick Google finds this tidbit:

          Maryland State Archives, Guide to Special Collections. �
          The Sharpsburg Enterprise began publication in 1878 and was published weekly. Title history based on November 22, 1878 ...

          I can't research right now, but might that be a place to start?

          Good hunting!

        • DPowell334@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 8, 2008
            World Cat lists two libraries that have copies, but from 1878 to the 1880s,
            no wartime papers.

            Enoch Pratt Free Library in Baltimore, and the Maryland Newspaper Project at
            the Maryland State Archives.

            Dave Powell

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 8, 2008
              The Western Maryland Room has Antietam Wavelet and Antietam Valley
              Record. I don't think they have the Sharpsburg Enterprise.

              Stephen

              Message 6 of 6 , Dec 8, 2008
                Exciting stuff. Congrats. How does one get to read your award-winning
                thesis?

                Stephen