Right State, Wrong Campaign

  • jeffcowvplanning
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2008
      Happy Tuesday, folks.

      Question slightly off topic...the Monocacy Campaign.

      I am reading recently of a skirmish at George Blessing's Farm near
      Wolfsville...north of Middletown, in July, 1864.

      Blessing and his son or grandson held off attacks by CS Cavalry
      squads that were hunting for horseflesh. Apparently, they had
      several guns...sonny reloading while pap fired....They hit two of the
      Confederates....killing at least one of them.

      Apparently, Blessing received a rifle from the Lincoln Administration
      as a token of respect, and the Maryland Legislature entertained a
      motion to provide him with something (resolution, pension...can't
      remember what).

      Does anybody have any suggestions where I look to find which
      Confederate cavalry unit(s) were involved in this...especially
      possibly the identities of the two casualties?

      Any help would be appreciated.

      THanks.
      Steve Bockmiller
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 2, 2008
        Steve,

        The only thought that comes to my mind immediately is that the
        cavalry involved must have been part of McCausland's command.
        Does this help?

        McCausland was, IIRC, the cavalry commander for all the cav units
        during the Maryland Raid undertaken by Jube Early. It was
        McCausland who burned the center portion of Chambersburg after
        holding the town to ransom.