Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Fw: Question regarding McElfresh Antietam maps

    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
      Steve,

      Did his farmstead match as shown in McElfresh map? And why, if it
      was there during the battle, does it not show up on so many other
      maps of the battle?

      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008

        The info below unfortunately does not answer your questions, but will
        hopefully provide you with a lead. It's from Ernst's TATC, p. 186:

        "Mr. John Keplinger, who lived near Bloody Lane, reputedly gathered
        and destroyed ninety-nine shells before the hundreth one exploded. He
        was 'terribly torn,' recalled the Newcomer daughter who help Dr. Biggs
        attend him, and he died from his wounds."

        IIRC, Dr. Biggs practiced medicine in the Antietam Valley until 1889,
        so the above account could have happened years after the battle.

        Ernst's source is John Philemon Smith, "Reminiscences of Sharpsburg,"
        Western Maryland Room, 1912, 76.

        Best,

        Steve

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
          Steve,

          Could the farmstead have been built after the war?

          I have Kathleen Ernst's book here and will try to find that
          passage.

          The info below unfortunately does not answer your questions, but
          will
          hopefully provide you with a lead. It's from Ernst's TATC, p.
          186:

          "Mr. John Keplinger, who lived near Bloody Lane, reputedly
          gathered
          and destroyed ninety-nine shells before the hundreth one
          exploded. He
          was 'terribly torn,' recalled the Newcomer daughter who help Dr.
          Biggs
          attend him, and he died from his wounds."

          IIRC, Dr. Biggs practiced medicine in the Antietam Valley until
          1889,
          so the above account could have happened years after the battle.

          Ernst's source is John Philemon Smith, "Reminiscences of
          Sharpsburg,"
          Western Maryland Room, 1912, 76.

          Best,

          Steve

          > Steve,
          >
          > Did his farmstead match as shown in McElfresh map? And why, if
          > it
          > was there during the battle, does it not show up on so many
          > other
          > maps of the battle?

          > from

        • cowie_steve
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008

            Yes, the documentation, or lack thereof, seems to support the theory
            that the Keplinger farm was a post-battle property. Perhaps Brian at
            the VC could shed some light on this. Also, I understand that the
            present day residents of the Piper farm are good contacts for Piper
            family history; perhaps they would know whether, and when, the
            Keplinger farmstead was carved out of Daniel Piper's 1845 purchase of
            Ellwicks Dwelling.

            Steve

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
              Steve,

              Thanks! I hope Brian is keeping an eye on this thread and can
              comment herein!