Re: Fw: Question regarding McElfresh Antietam maps

  • cowie_steve
    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
      Gerry and Stephen,

      John Keplinger, per Ernst, resided near the Sunken Road and was killed
      by a shell blast after the battle while handling a projectile found on
      his land. I do not know how many years after the battle this accident
      occurred, but can check her source if you'd like.

      Best,

      Steve

      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
        Steve,

        Did his farmstead match as shown in McElfresh map? And why, if it
        was there during the battle, does it not show up on so many other
        maps of the battle?

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008

          The info below unfortunately does not answer your questions, but will
          hopefully provide you with a lead. It's from Ernst's TATC, p. 186:

          "Mr. John Keplinger, who lived near Bloody Lane, reputedly gathered
          and destroyed ninety-nine shells before the hundreth one exploded. He
          was 'terribly torn,' recalled the Newcomer daughter who help Dr. Biggs
          attend him, and he died from his wounds."

          IIRC, Dr. Biggs practiced medicine in the Antietam Valley until 1889,
          so the above account could have happened years after the battle.

          Ernst's source is John Philemon Smith, "Reminiscences of Sharpsburg,"
          Western Maryland Room, 1912, 76.

          Best,

          Steve

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
            Steve,

            Could the farmstead have been built after the war?

            I have Kathleen Ernst's book here and will try to find that
            passage.

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008

              Yes, the documentation, or lack thereof, seems to support the theory
              that the Keplinger farm was a post-battle property. Perhaps Brian at
              the VC could shed some light on this. Also, I understand that the
              present day residents of the Piper farm are good contacts for Piper
              family history; perhaps they would know whether, and when, the
              Keplinger farmstead was carved out of Daniel Piper's 1845 purchase of
              Ellwicks Dwelling.

              Steve

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                Steve,

                Thanks! I hope Brian is keeping an eye on this thread and can
                comment herein!