Re: [TalkAntietam] Re: Fw: Question regarding McElfresh Antietam maps

    Message 1 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
      Teej,

      Yeah, you are probably right. Oh, well, at least there is another new
      book for my Christmas list. Thanks.

      Stephen

      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
        Dear Brian;

        That does help. So, according to Cope, Evans' Independent Brigade
        (which might have been under command of the Colonel who led the
        organization at Turner's Gap rather than by Evans himself) was
        actually somewhat "scattered" and not kept together as a cohesive
        unit, unlike G B Anderson.

        From what you are saying, it would appear, based on the War
        Department tablet information (now missing) about the position of
        the NC brigade commended by Anderson, that Evans's unit was
        actually a little ahead of GB Anderson's men in some cases, or a
        little behind them....

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
          Gerry and Stephen,

          John Keplinger, per Ernst, resided near the Sunken Road and was killed
          by a shell blast after the battle while handling a projectile found on
          his land. I do not know how many years after the battle this accident
          occurred, but can check her source if you'd like.

          Best,

          Steve

          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
            Steve,

            Did his farmstead match as shown in McElfresh map? And why, if it
            was there during the battle, does it not show up on so many other
            maps of the battle?

            John Keplinger, per Ernst, resided near the Sunken Road and was
            killed
            by a shell blast after the battle while handling a projectile
            found on
            his land. I do not know how many years after the battle this
            accident
            occurred, but can check her source if you'd like.

            Best,

            Steve

            > I was looking at the wrong spot. On the 1904 Cope map this and
            > the
            > house to the east against the creek are both labeled Newcomer.
            > On the
            > 1895 Hotchkiss map there is no farm at either spot. On the 1904
            > Heth/Sterns map the house to the west is D. Myers and the house
            > by the
            > creek is T. Myers. On the Gould map based on the 1860's Michler
            > map,
            > they are D. Myers and J. Myer respectively.
            >
            > I don't know anything about the Myers family, but Carman
            > mentions them:
            > "Two companies were sent to the left, beyond the Snavely
            > buildings and
            > were deployed behind the stone and rail fences of the road
            > leading to
            > Myers' Ford, and at the foot of a bluff, upon which was a large
            > cornfield, in which Munford had his cavalry skirmishers, who
            > advancing
            > to the brow of the bluff, opened fire, and Eshleman's Louisiana
            > battery, about 600 yards to the right and front dropped
            > shrapnel among
            > them."
            >
            > I don't think he mentions Keplinger. There were some Keplingers
            > living
            > in Benevola (Beaver Creek) back them.
            >
            > Stephen
            >

            > On Tuesday, December 30, 2008, at 08:51 AM, G E Mayers wrote:
            >
            > > Stephen,
            > >
            > > If that is indeed true, where did McElfresh get the
            > > information
            > > there was a small farmstead right where the combined Piper
            > > Farm
            > > Lane/Sunken Road joins the Boonsborough Turnpike?
            > >
            > > Yr. Obt. Svt.
            > > G E "Gerry" Mayers

            > > even
            > > the
            > > from
            > > the Almighty God. --Anonymous

          • cowie_steve
            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008

              The info below unfortunately does not answer your questions, but will
              hopefully provide you with a lead. It's from Ernst's TATC, p. 186:

              "Mr. John Keplinger, who lived near Bloody Lane, reputedly gathered
              and destroyed ninety-nine shells before the hundreth one exploded. He
              was 'terribly torn,' recalled the Newcomer daughter who help Dr. Biggs
              attend him, and he died from his wounds."

              IIRC, Dr. Biggs practiced medicine in the Antietam Valley until 1889,
              so the above account could have happened years after the battle.

              Ernst's source is John Philemon Smith, "Reminiscences of Sharpsburg,"
              Western Maryland Room, 1912, 76.

              Best,

              Steve

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                Steve,

                Could the farmstead have been built after the war?

                I have Kathleen Ernst's book here and will try to find that
                passage.

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008

                  Yes, the documentation, or lack thereof, seems to support the theory
                  that the Keplinger farm was a post-battle property. Perhaps Brian at
                  the VC could shed some light on this. Also, I understand that the
                  present day residents of the Piper farm are good contacts for Piper
                  family history; perhaps they would know whether, and when, the
                  Keplinger farmstead was carved out of Daniel Piper's 1845 purchase of
                  Ellwicks Dwelling.

                  Steve

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                    Steve,

                    Thanks! I hope Brian is keeping an eye on this thread and can
                    comment herein!