Re: Fw: Question regarding McElfresh Antietam maps

  • Brian Richardson
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 30, 2008
      Gerry -

      That same 0830 Carman map shows the regiments of Evans's brigade
      scattered between the Piper and Sherrick farms. The 18th SC was
      posted south of and parallel to the Piper farm lane just east of the
      Piper house. The 22nd SC was at the northwestern base of the hill
      where Mountain View Cemetery now is, and the 23rd SC was to the west
      of that cemetery with its right resting on the Boonsboro Pike. The
      17th SC and the Holcombe Legion were on the west side of the Sherrick
      farm lane with the Legion generally between the Sherrick and Stone
      Mill orchards and the 17th adjacent to them to the north.

      There was also a body of troops that formed a picket line east of the
      Sherrick farm lane in front of where the National Cemetery now is -
      the same general area taken by some of Sykes's regulars later in the
      day. This was a detachment of 85 to 100 men from GT Anderson's
      brigade that were left behind when that Anderson's brigade was moved
      north.

      All the best,

      Brian

      Message 2 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
        Teej,

        Yeah, you are probably right. Oh, well, at least there is another new
        book for my Christmas list. Thanks.

        Stephen

        Message 3 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
          Dear Brian;

          That does help. So, according to Cope, Evans' Independent Brigade
          (which might have been under command of the Colonel who led the
          organization at Turner's Gap rather than by Evans himself) was
          actually somewhat "scattered" and not kept together as a cohesive
          unit, unlike G B Anderson.

          From what you are saying, it would appear, based on the War
          Department tablet information (now missing) about the position of
          the NC brigade commended by Anderson, that Evans's unit was
          actually a little ahead of GB Anderson's men in some cases, or a
          little behind them....

          That same 0830 Carman map shows the regiments of Evans's brigade
          scattered between the Piper and Sherrick farms. The 18th SC was
          posted south of and parallel to the Piper farm lane just east of
          the
          Piper house. The 22nd SC was at the northwestern base of the hill
          where Mountain View Cemetery now is, and the 23rd SC was to the
          west
          of that cemetery with its right resting on the Boonsboro Pike.
          The
          17th SC and the Holcombe Legion were on the west side of the
          Sherrick
          farm lane with the Legion generally between the Sherrick and
          Stone
          Mill orchards and the 17th adjacent to them to the north.

          There was also a body of troops that formed a picket line east of
          the
          Sherrick farm lane in front of where the National Cemetery now
          is -
          the same general area taken by some of Sykes's regulars later in
          the
          day. This was a detachment of 85 to 100 men from GT Anderson's
          brigade that were left behind when that Anderson's brigade was
          moved
          north.

          All the best,

          Brian

          > Brian and Stephen,
          >
          > According to maps in Joe Harsh's Taken at the Flood, Evans'
          > independent brigade also was posted in the same general area,
          > at
          > least until the morning of September 17th IIRC. Is this
          > correct?
          > If so, where were the members of Evans' Brigade posted if G B
          > Anderson also was posted along the Sunken Road juncture with
          > the
          > Boonsborough Turnpike???

          > from

        • cowie_steve
          Message 4 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
            Gerry and Stephen,

            John Keplinger, per Ernst, resided near the Sunken Road and was killed
            by a shell blast after the battle while handling a projectile found on
            his land. I do not know how many years after the battle this accident
            occurred, but can check her source if you'd like.

            Best,

            Steve

            Message 5 of 24 , Dec 1, 2008
              Steve,

              Did his farmstead match as shown in McElfresh map? And why, if it
              was there during the battle, does it not show up on so many other
              maps of the battle?

              Message 6 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008

                The info below unfortunately does not answer your questions, but will
                hopefully provide you with a lead. It's from Ernst's TATC, p. 186:

                "Mr. John Keplinger, who lived near Bloody Lane, reputedly gathered
                and destroyed ninety-nine shells before the hundreth one exploded. He
                was 'terribly torn,' recalled the Newcomer daughter who help Dr. Biggs
                attend him, and he died from his wounds."

                IIRC, Dr. Biggs practiced medicine in the Antietam Valley until 1889,
                so the above account could have happened years after the battle.

                Ernst's source is John Philemon Smith, "Reminiscences of Sharpsburg,"
                Western Maryland Room, 1912, 76.

                Best,

                Steve

                Message 7 of 24 , Dec 2, 2008
                  Steve,

                  Could the farmstead have been built after the war?

                  I have Kathleen Ernst's book here and will try to find that
                  passage.

                  Message 8 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008

                    Yes, the documentation, or lack thereof, seems to support the theory
                    that the Keplinger farm was a post-battle property. Perhaps Brian at
                    the VC could shed some light on this. Also, I understand that the
                    present day residents of the Piper farm are good contacts for Piper
                    family history; perhaps they would know whether, and when, the
                    Keplinger farmstead was carved out of Daniel Piper's 1845 purchase of
                    Ellwicks Dwelling.

                    Steve

                    Message 9 of 24 , Dec 3, 2008
                      Steve,

                      Thanks! I hope Brian is keeping an eye on this thread and can
                      comment herein!